Who integrated support material directly into its objects?

mnis

Posted · Who integrated support material directly into its objects?

Hi guys

For a few months I create 3D objects for 3D printing. With increasing progress my personal requirements are also rising, and I try already during the constructing to make intensive use of the opportunities for quality improvement. In short I optimize my objects for a complication-free as possible printing experience. I print mainly with cheap as possible PLA, and try everything on it to optimize towards. Cheap materials are very suitable for experiments and visualization of optimization experiments, I think so.

Supporting material is essential in many cases, and often automatically generated support material does not fulfill its purpose.

Good experience I have had with the three variants support material:

1) Flat rectangles, typically with first-layer thickness, to small independent object areas.

2) Square or rectangular single pillars, with a minimum wall thickness (near nozzle diameter) for higher areas.

3) Narrow rectangular walls, width and distance near nozzle diameter. From top to overhang 0.1mm gap.

CPv7 #02 CutItAway

SupportiveMaterial

SupportiveMaterial success

In addition to these three variants I avoid pointed corner areas, thus there is almost everywhere round corners to see ... :lol:

I would be very happy if someone contributes his experiences on this Topic.

Markus

Posted · Who integrated support material directly into its objects?

Not much to say really but since I was called upon... :) I do try to incorporate manual support if I can't avoid needing supports and if I'm not feeling lazy. Usually manual supports use a lot less material and can be better sometimes as well as easier to remove. I usually try to take advantage of bridging doing the heavy lifting and just provide a thin wall for the bridge. On the feeder I used 0.5mm walls and 0.15mm air gaps to the actual model, that seemed to work ok for me.