Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
medicalmodeller

Possibly blocked nozzle and now wires in the way of Bowden tube

For no apparent reason, my UM2 stopped printing and no PLA was coming out the nozzle.

I assumed that the print head nozzle was blocked and found the atomic method for unblocking. I followed the process a couple of times. When the head was at 240 I could push on the filament and PLA came out. On cooling I withdrew the filament and there was no debris. I reassemble and still hardly any thing coming out the nozzle.

Thought I would try the atomic method again. However I now cannot pass the filament down to the print nozzle as there are two wires in the way. I assume that they go to a fan. They are at the level of the little spring just above the nozzle. As I got the UM2 ready assemble I do not know how to takes things apart to get to these wires

So I have two problems. No extrusion without the nozzle being blocked and now wires in the path of the bowden tube

Fed up

B

Almost certainly the problem you are having is not with the nozzle being blocked; since you could push filament out by hand, the nozzle is fine. Check the filament at the extruder motor end at the back of the printer, and make sure it isn't damaged. If the filament is rubbed away or has gouges and deformations, make sure you cut those off.

What material are you printing with?

On a related note (similar to the wires getting trapped), that hole in the top of the hotend (for the dual extruder) is a real trap for the unwary. Working in poor light I poked my fingernail into the bowden clip and pulled it back, and lost it down that hole. How was I supposed to see a black hole in a black painted blob of metal! :-) Nor could I reach the clip with tweezers etc, I had to take the head partially apart to get it out. Took me about ten minutes to get everything back in place. Then I started again on the head cleaning procedure I originally intended... and promptly lost the clip down the hole again! :mad:

Tip: rotate the fingernail edge on the clip so it doesn't invite you to drag it towards that hole!