Adhesion problems with ABS printing

sungjun-kim

Posted · Adhesion problems with ABS printing

Hi. Recently I have tried to print the structure with ABS.

In the case of PLA, the results were good enough.

However, in the case of ABS, the printed structure got bowing as printed.

In the bottom layer, it stuck on the build-plate by glue stick,

but as the printing proceed, it was getting bowing.

Is there any better materials to stick strongly than glue stick

or any setting to improve the adhesion between structure

and build-plate(such as temperautre...)?

I print with a buildplate temperature of 115 degrees which gives me about 100 degrees surface temperature (4mm glas). I have good results with gluestick but I do add a brim to the model. And keep the model warm while printing. Enclose the ultimaker a bit helps. Do check the motors if you enclose, that is why I have them on the outside.

bowing=warping (we usually call it warping - or "lifting corners".

I find hairspray even better than glue stick and I use 100C on the UM2. Clean the glass first to get any oils off it, then when dry spray with hair spray. Also it is important to use brim. Lots of brim - at least 10 loops. And make sure the first layer is squished down enough so that the brim touches itself nicely and touches the part.

Use blue stuff - unscented:

aquanet.jpg

I'm using a PRINTinZ Printer Plate (http://printinz.com/printer-plates/) with PLA and need nothing else to hold a PLA print firmly down. printing a 11 cm long 4mm diameter tube standing upright (only the 4 mm circle touching the build plate) with just 40 degrees heat and no brim.

Have no experience with ABS though as I print in my bedroom and like not to suffer from the fumes coming from an ABS print.