Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

Problem with right ear on robot

Recommended Posts

Hi, wonder if anyone can shed some light on this problem.

I recently had a filament "blowout" around the print head where when printing overnight the print failed and the PLA got well and truly wrapped around the head and rear fan.

Never happens when im in the room of course

On removal I managed to bend the metal fan housing as well as damage one of the fans on the side as well.

When I cleared the head and replaced the fans (I ordered a complete set from Ultimaker - so decided to replace all three), I then attempted a test print but found that the right ear on the robot was not forming well and seemed to miss the bottom section.

Speaking to the guys at Ultimaker at a show in London, they suggested it might be the metal houisig and the fact that the fans were not directing the air. They send me a replacement housing and this is now in place. Whilst the ear has improved on the print as shown in the image, it is still not forming correctly. I am going to print the robot later tonight orientated the other way around as I guess in theory if it is the fans, then the problem should be reversed.

In the meantime I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the left ear ;)

Typical problem with the robot, there are many ways to improve this, it's due to the fact that the right fan is to far from the head.

On way to solve this is to print the robot rotated 45° so that the left ear gets better cooling.

Ps: The robot is not an easy print and takes a bit of skill to master don't take it as a very good test print ;)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL yes correct, left ear.

Appreciate it is not easy but I noticed that its not as good as it used to be. So im basing the print on earlier models before the PLA overload disaster.

Its not a major problem tbh as prints of other things I do are fine, I was just concerened that I had perhaps missed something else when putting the print head back together


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also lower the temperature so it cools faster, maybe this means you also have to modify your printing speed.

But it is possible to print it flawlessly on the Ultimaker 2 with reduced printing temps, even with the 'under-designed metal fan shroud' ;)

What settings are you using?

The filament also doesn't look like it is Ultimakers? So maybe you need different temps anyway..


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Fans at 100% (I'm sure you already did this)

2) Print cooler - try 200C or even 190C.

3) Print slower - try 30mm/sec (have some patience). Or even 20mm/sec.

This will improve quality. But who cares about quality?

The robot has lots of overhangs - it's time you moved onto some "real" prints.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to use this one on the default settings as per when the UM2 arrived just to give me an indication on any changes if I tweak anything. This is the only reason I'm printing it. It's my base print test.

Actually Sander you are correct the filament is the only thing that is different as I have now run out of the blue. This is from Faberdashery so yes that could be a factor I didn't actually consider. Again I kept the blue for testing.

Certainly over what is almost a year of using the UM2 gosh that's gone fast, I have noticed the difference on some filaments. Tend to stick to either Ultimaker branded or the Faberdashery stuff, but even then there is some wide variation in the print output

Anyway other prints I do seem to be fine so probably not worth more messing around, it was just having stripped the unit or at least the head apart I was curious why my standard test failed this way.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Then, print one of Venkel's fan ducts, and replace the under-designed metal fan shroud with one that works better.


I second that recommendation. Though I'd say fan shroud is fine, what's under-designed is the nozzle placement. What I think Ultimaker should have done is this:

UM2 symmetrical


...instead of this:

UM2 original

Then there'd be symmetrical cooling with the stock fan shroud in both single- and dual-extruder setups. I'm sure that change would cascade through all of the printhead parts, however, and probably also have some implications for Cura.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 0 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!