Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
simmonsstummer

Ultimaker 2 never fill well the tops

All with retraction enabled and temperature of 232°C. The little object is been printed today with very high speed (something like 120mm/s just to try) And the bigger object at 80 mm/s.

to summarize:

Little Object. PLA 232°C - 0,1mm layer - 120mm/s speed - retraction enabled

Big Object. PLA 232°C - 0,2mm layer - 80mm/s speed - retraction enabled

Approximately same results.

Way too fast I think. Also the temperature is too high for PLA, I think you are risking deformation of the teflon spacer which could lead to even more underextrusion than I see in the pictures.

I would suggest establishing a baseline using say: T=220°C, speed=50, retraction enabled, 0.1mm layers, 0.8 or 1.2mm shell thickness, ditto for bottom/top layer thickness.

I would suggest establishing a baseline using say: T=220°C, speed=50, retraction enabled, 0.1mm layers, 0.8 or 1.2mm shell thickness, ditto for bottom/top layer thickness.

I'm printing now with these settings. As soon as it finish i'll post a picture.

The Um2 should handle 80mm/s for 0.2mm layers at least mine does (easily) maybe you should check if your nozzle is not partially blocked (look for atomic method).

It's also good to print the test cylinder as suggested by Arjan

What is the Atomic method?

I downloaded the cylinder and i'll print it too soon.

Ok with the DonMilne setting the printing has improved in quality.

gallery_20815_489_252607.jpg

gallery_20815_489_1164860.jpg

I did twice the test cylinder (great idea) and is totally disappointing...

@230°C

I can see underextrusion almost since the beginning and then at the end of 5mm3/s the levels do not stick together.

gallery_20815_489_712247.jpg

gallery_20815_489_1079322.jpg

Second attempt same settings (just to be sure)

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/9192-test-cylinder-second-attempt/

I think i will try the atomic method as suggested to improve the cleanliness of the nozzle.

Once the nozzle is cleaned do the test cylinder again to see if any improvement show.

You can also do several changes that improve extrusion like installing the feeder that lRobertl created (you can find it on youmagine).

One more question, what is the brand of filament you use? Are you sure it's 2.85mm? I had a member of the french forum that was struggling with under extrusion it turned out that he used 3mm filament that has much more friction in the bowden than the recommended 2.85mm (Ultimaker, Colorfabb, Faberdashery and many others)

You need to do the atomic method at a colder temperature. It should be a perfect cone shape tip. Not like these.

Note that you might need a new teflon isolator. These get deformed after many months of use. Ultimaker has newer ones that are built out of a better material now.

Also is your role of red PLA getting near the end? The tighter radius of curvature on the spool of filament can also cause problems. Try printing the cylinder with your other PLA.

You need to do the atomic method at a colder temperature. It should be a perfect cone shape tip. Not like these.

Note that you might need a new teflon isolator. These get deformed after many months of use. Ultimaker has newer ones that are built out of a better material now.

Also is your role of red PLA getting near the end? The tighter radius of curvature on the spool of filament can also cause problems. Try printing the cylinder with your other PLA.

I hope to find some teflon replacement @ Maker Faire Rome from Ultimaker stand! Is it something ultimaker provide to all the former printer or just by request?

Today i'll try to wait more for the atomic method and see what happens.

The red pla is almost at the beginning... but i noticed that is a little big even if shipped by ultimaker.