Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
skint

UK company ROBOX

They have a lot of very interesting technology there. My first reaction to the locked in filament was a way to rip-em-off!

However looking at their spool prices its not too bad at 41.50/kg compared to the 49.71/kg I pay for OEM filament for my UP printer.

Its way more that the 27.27/kg I pay Faberdashery for my UM filament though. (All prices are GB pounds).

That printer has some very interesting features. Especially that they got some kind of dual extrusion running, although they don´t use it for support, but for printing with two different nozzle sizes on one part. The features are interesting, but I prefer different XYZ-moving systems than the Mendel one.

I recently saw the Robox at an event. It's print quality is not comparable (yet) with an Ultimaker. But the dual-nozzle feature is indeed quite interesting.The printer uses the small nozzle for the outer shell and the large nozzle for the rest, except for very small prints where it uses only the small nozzle. But the swapping of the nozzle also takes some time as changing the extruder on other machines.

Yeah its weird how that dual nozzle isnt used for support though, perhaps that`s something for the future for them. Build volume looks quite small, but the ease of taking it apart is quite cool.

I recently saw the Robox at an event. It's print quality is not comparable (yet) with an Ultimaker. But the dual-nozzle feature is indeed quite interesting.The printer uses the small nozzle for the outer shell and the large nozzle for the rest, except for very small prints where it uses only the small nozzle. But the swapping of the nozzle also takes some time as changing the extruder on other machines.

The one in our office didn't seem to do that. But it does have some interesting mechanical features. As well as some "holy shit, those molds for the injection molded parts must have been expensive" (funny what you suddenly look at in other printers)

The software they supply has some bugs tough. We managed to lock up the printer a few times without the "open" button working. For slicing they use slic3r.

They have produced some really interesting multi-tools in the past - they are heavy end industrial designers so may have over thought some of the things - time to see what works and absorb!

Yeah true that jameshs, I see they have been into power tools etc. Over engineered plastic mouldings! Still...fair play, they seem to have designed a fairly robust and competitive printer from what I have been reading.

Hi Skint, Sorry to but in; The print heads on Robox are extremely easy to change, a single thumb wheel on the back. We have several print heads including a recently release dual material head that can print with two completely dissimulator material at the same time. Our needle valve system really come into its own here as we don't have to print an ooze shield or wipe tower with the ability to close the flow of material right at the tip of the nozzle. I've been getting some great results using Polysupport and PLA.