Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jonnybischof

14.09 creates insane amounts of travel?

Ive experienced greatly increased printtimes when printing wih low infill % (0%).

I think it is caused due to the hidden z-line implementation, which in my opininion dedreases the printquality. I hope you consider giving us an option to turn the hidden z-line off. In the meanwhole II will be using older versions.

I will post some pictures next week to show what I mean, because im bad at explaining what I mean.

With 1407 at the same height, there are also many travel lines, but not as many and not as long ones.

I've just started my first print with 1409 and it really seems there have been major changes to the travel behaviour. My printer "screams" loudly on travel moves (seems like something's going to break soon, but I haven't found the issue yet) which makes me notice that difference in 1409 very much :)

/edit:

cura 1409 travel 2

Here's the problem:

For some reason, the head travels along the walls multiple times for no apparent reason. But it still travels diagonally across the print so this accomplishes nothing (again - apparently. Maybe there's some reason for this?).

I don't think it ever had to travel diagonally across the print that many times in the previous versions. This gives rather ugly top layers... (I'm not going to use z-hop, my UM is already falling apart as it is.)

Ive experienced greatly increased printtimes when printing wih low infill % (0%).

I think it is caused due to the hidden z-line implementation, which in my opininion dedreases the printquality. I hope you consider giving us an option to turn the hidden z-line off. In the meanwhole II will be using older versions.

The changes for this introduced a bug with the infill code, causing lots of unneeded travels. Just fixed that problem and will build a version for you guys to test ASAP.

EDIT:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Windows right now, will build&upload mac&linux a bit later. (machine that builds that is still in the old building, so need to move that first before I can build the mac and linux versions)

Thanks!

It's better now, but there are still differences which I consider a regress to 14.07:

cura 1409 travel 4

cura 1409 travel 3

Same part & settings, top layer. While 14.07 only travels once through the surface, 14.09.1 RC2 needs 3 travels. It's the same through all the top covering layers: 14.07 always needs 1 long travel, 14.09.1 RC2 needs 3 for most of the layers.

Funny thing: In one layer, 14.09.1 RC2 doesn't travel through the surface at all, but instead just some small travel segment along the edge. This would make a perfect top layer, but instead it's somewhere in between. But it shows that it would be possible to make clean top surfaces.

14.09 actually gave me a "travel-free" top layer.

/edit:

I was wrong: 14.07 also sometimes needs more than 1 travel through the part. Seems like before it was a coincidence - I just re-sliced with different wall thickness and infill settings, and now I mostly have "3-travel-layers" again...

Thank you! btw: Shouldn't it be named 14.10 RC2?

Ah, yes, time flies...

Good to hear the main problem is fixed.

And yes, the travel on top infill areas is a bit "random" and hard to predict. So you are more lucky that you get a single travel instead of it being a feature.

I have a similar problem with Cura 14.10RC3. I print a vase at a shell thickness of 0,8mm (tried in 0,4mm and it´s the same problem). I have attached a screenshot of the small travels.

Nope, that's not the same problem. I'm seeing some top/bottom infill parts in there where it is moving to, but nothing else. And I assume 14.07 will show exactly the same results with the same settings.

The changes for this introduced a bug with the infill code, causing lots of unneeded travels. Just fixed that problem and will build a version for you guys to test ASAP.

EDIT:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Windows right now, will build&upload mac&linux a bit later. (machine that builds that is still in the old building, so need to move that first before I can build the mac and linux versions)

Daid, does this require the firmware updating as well? Or has only Cura changed? Currently running firmware from Cura 14.09. (UM2)