XT versus PLA/PHA

yellowshark

Posted · XT versus PLA/PHA

Until today I had pretty much ignored XT, seeing it as a neutral/transparent material. But now I see it comes in colours.

So my question is - why (and why not) would I want to use XT purple rather than PLA/PHA purple.

And on the final outcome does one give a better quality surface finish than the other?

XT , Glass Transition Temperature: 75C

PLA/PHA, Glass Transition Temperature: 55C

XT will better withstand higher temperatures, PLA f.e. is not a good idea for a car-phone-holder during summer ...

The downside is you need to print XT at higher temperatures, which can be an issue on some printers.

I would not dear to comment on actual strength, I found XT rather brittle, but other seem to think its super strong....

If you need a strong part, I recommend XT, for normal purpose, like decoration, there is no need to print with XT.

About surface finish, to my opinion it's the same, of course it always depends on the settings you print with.

Thanks guys I think I have the picture now. Without having done a detailed check, which I will do, it sounds as if it might be good replacement for nylon if you want a bigger selection of colours; especially as it seems to have FDA approval.

Thanks guys I think I have the picture now. Without having done a detailed check, which I will do, it sounds as if it might be good replacement for nylon if you want a bigger selection of colours; especially as it seems to have FDA approval.

As far as I understood, TX is a form of PET. So that most likely helps in the FDA approval.

XT , Glass Transition Temperature: 75C

PLA/PHA, Glass Transition Temperature: 55C

XT will better withstand higher temperatures, PLA f.e. is not a good idea for a car-phone-holder during summer ...

The downside is you need to print XT at higher temperatures, which can be an issue on some printers.

I would not dear to comment on actual strength, I found XT rather brittle, but other seem to think its super strong....

Are you sure on those numbers? I actually thought XT had a higher glass transition temperature.

I know from Colorfabb it is odor free and it is food-safe.

It is also suppose to be 50 times stronger then PLA.

It is also good with bridging. I was shown this impressive 12 cm bridge on an UM2.

impressive bridging XT

Are you sure on those numbers? I actually thought XT had a higher glass transition temperature.

It is also good with bridging. I was shown this impressive 12 cm bridge on an UM2.

GT = 75 degrees, tested it with hot, temp measured, water.

I've managed to achieve a bridge of 14cm with a UMO, it could be larger if you take the time for it to tweak settings.

And about the material itself, it is indeed PET, specs can be found here:

http://www.eastman.com/Products/Pages/ProductHome.aspx?Product=71100831&list=Polymers

Technical datasheet:

http://ws.eastman.com/ProductCatalogApps/PageControllers/ProdDatasheet_PC.aspx?Product=71100831&sCategoryName=Generic

Any information about settings? I am just currently printing ultirobot with XT and it seems there is some slight issues with overhangs.

EDIT:

Just finished ultirobot. Severe delamination in first layers. What to do? Raise the temperature?

GT = 75 degrees, tested it with hot, temp measured, water.

And it is also what ColoFabb claims, so good to know it's for real ;)

I had a chat with them during last month's UltiEvening, and they said they might consider an High temp XT in the future (I would love that as temperature is the only reason I am still using ABS)

And it is also what ColoFabb claims, so good to know it's for real ;)

I had a chat with them during last month's UltiEvening, and they said they might consider an High temp XT in the future (I would love that as temperature is the only reason I am still using ABS)

Yep, it's real, I also wanted to know if it's true, that's why I tested it.

To my knowledge ABS has also a GT of 75 degrees or am I mistaken?

ABS is definitely higher. It can vary depending on the formula, but it can easily reach 100C.

Another thing learned today...

And indeed, they might consider a higher temp XT.......