Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
lennart-bruggink

Current best support generator

Hi there printer fanatics,

It has been a while since I last needed good support printed, and I have usually been a great fan (bzzzzzzzz, no not the one flowing air) of meshmixer. But, As some time has passed and no-one sat still, I like to ask your opinion on what is currently the better support generator/ slicers.

Thank you all!

Cheers!

Meshmixer for all statue/figurine work. play with params, if you don't like a generated support click on it with the CTRL-key pressed. To manually create a support, drag a line from the object to the floor while holding the SHIFT-key.

There are a lot of parameters when press Analyze/Overhangs. Can anyone explain those parameters a bit further? NE help muchos appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

The line support of Cura. Seriously. We did tests with every support generator we could find and (much to our own suprise), the (line) support from Cura gave the best results. It's not the easiest to remove (as in, you won't break an entire block off, but it isnt hard to remove it) and it gives nicer surface results.

Yes the lines work great with many cases

IMG 20141104 094343

IMG 20141001 022013

IMG 20141001 084722

IMG 20141004 101201

what the line support is missing is inter link between lines after some height. If it could bridge some (not all) supports sections together ever now and then but leave the lines alone a cm or so from the surface than it could be more robust for high supports.

Maybe having an hybrid between grid and line support for a few layers.

Also, allowing for a flat top on the support so dual extrusion could use solvable filament.

I'm also pretty convinced by the line supports from cura the only thing that could make it better (i like pm_dude's suggestion too) is being able to specify where to put some supports and where to not put them.

Would be really cool to be able to do like meshmixer in cura and click to remove supports and to add supports

The line support of Cura. Seriously. We did tests with every support generator we could find and (much to our own suprise), the (line) support from Cura gave the best results. It's not the easiest to remove (as in, you won't break an entire block off, but it isnt hard to remove it) and it gives nicer surface results.

I think you can learn a lot with the Software Simplify3D, were you can as other members suggested, select undesired supports. For what i saw in a lot of youtube videos, Z-Suite from zortrax seems to work very well in generating support structures.

Alright everyone,

Thank you for the replies!

It is clear to me that although meshmixer has a preference,

there are a lot of new programms i can check out.

I need to look into line support too from cura.

my experience in the past was also that when using meshmixer and it would overextrude, the single line "web" between the MeshMixer support was very strong.

Now, I need to resolve an issue with my UM2 for underextrusion. So if you'll excuse me i've got some tinkering to do!

Cheers!

Lennart Bruggink