Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
gr5

Maximum Extrusion rates and variability among filaments (PLA only)

Steve from Ultimaker does material tests. He tests many properties of PLA. It turns out that Ultimaker gets it's PLA from multiple vendors and they are trying to get only the best it seems. This is only one test (he does lots of strength tests also for example). Steve asked me to publish his findings on the forum for him.

It's interesting to see the variability he found between printers, manufacturers and colors. Anyway this is extrusion rates for various manufacturers and colors:

http://gr5.org/PLA_u...usion_tests.pdf

The data closely agrees with my tests (blue line on first graph):

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4127-um2-extrusion-rates-revisited/

Interesting stuff, so basically the quality of the printer is more important than the fillament supplier.

The report says both test machines were 'refurbished' ... did they both get a new feeder & hotend?

My gut feeling says this confirmes what we already knew.... replacing the feeder is the first thing to do on an UM2.

Is UM still using all 3 suppliers?

Both machines had gotten new nozzles before this test.

Yes, the quality of the printer and the adjustment is very important for getting a good result. But once you've adjusted your machine as such, there are large differences between different filament suppliers. We are doing our utmost to improve both machine and material.