Travel retract?

chrisr

Posted · Travel retract?

Is there a way to have Cura force a retract before it travels the head? Reason being my UM2 is getting hammered printing colorfabb's XT...

The travel leaves "blobs" on fills, which then solidify. The next time the head travels over those blobs it smacks into them and rattles the bed :shock:

Maybe it's an XT issue - I donlt know, I just can't seem to prevent it "blobbing" No such problems with PLA.

Posted · Travel retract?

Have you enabled combing (expert settings)? If yes, disable it and use reasonable numbers for minimum travel distance before retraction and minimum extrusion amount... I use 5mm for the first and 0 for the second.

If you get blobs on top then avoid z-hopping.

• Like 1

Posted · Travel retract?

Have you enabled combing (expert settings)? If yes, disable it and use reasonable numbers for minimum travel distance before retraction and minimum extrusion amount... I use 5mm for the first and 0 for the second.

If you get blobs on top then avoid z-hopping.

Yes I had combing enabled. Damn! If disabling combing is the solution, then that's fantastic! :-) I shall try your settings shortly on my next print.

Posted · Travel retract?

Yes I had combing enabled. Damn! If disabling combing is the solution, then that's fantastic! :smile: I shall try your settings shortly on my next print.

Do this, but don't blame me if the print fails... :wacko: Good luck!

Posted · Travel retract?

Do this, but don't blame me if the print fails... :wacko: Good luck!

I won't ;-) I'm just very grateful for your pointer :-) I've been having lots of problems with XT blobbing. Hopefully this will go some way to prevent that. Thanks!

Posted · Travel retract?

Update:

Dim3nsioneer.... +1 I think you may have solved the blob problem. You lovely lovely person.

The fill looked hugely better with no blobs. I've still to re-try the print that was giving me real problems and as I don't wish to tempt fate... I'm going to just shut up about it until it's printed.... :-)

Posted · Travel retract?

Update:

Dim3nsioneer.... +1 I think you may have solved the blob problem. You lovely lovely person.

The fill looked hugely better with no blobs. I've still to re-try the print that was giving me real problems and as I don't wish to tempt fate... I'm going to just shut up about it until it's printed.... :smile:

Ooohhhh...that's just a bit too much for a Sunday evening... :oops: But I'm glad it worked (hopefully!) for you... :-P

Posted · Travel retract?

Looook.... this is the start of my Nemesis print.. no... blobs

No blob XT

:-P

Posted · Travel retract?

Why is it called combing?

Posted · Travel retract?

Why is it called combing?

Maybe the movement effect is analogous to dragging a (hair) comb over a surface? (I don't know - just wondering)

http://www.pomades.com/p/438-034-00/imperial-dax-pocket-hair-comb.html

Posted · Travel retract?

Why would you want to turn that on?

Posted · Travel retract?

Because it's faster without retraction...

Posted · Travel retract?

its called combing maybe because if you print a comb and combing is on, the head stays within the teeth. With combing off, the head would cross over the teeth, choosing the shortest way…..

Posted · Travel retract?

Ah, maybe it could be called "no space jump"

Posted · Travel retract?

Combing is great in most cases but I would like it not to occur on the top surface of the infill. It looks like scratch on the surface.

Its not only reducing retractions. Combing also try to force head movement to stay on the surface (infill only).

I which there was a mode that would comb on the shell too to see if it can help in some things like the FairPhone cases for instance.

Posted · Travel retract?

Dont get too exited, retraction and plugin "retract while combing" are distance based.

If you want to retract from place to place (perimeters for example) then you are screwed.

Tweaking the distance will help but models are not always square boxes, so distance changes, thus making those distance settings useless.