Cura 14.09 does not slice this simple calibration piece correctly

oscahie

Posted · Cura 14.09 does not slice this simple calibration piece correctly

This very simple single-shell calibration piece:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ahmetcemturan/SFACT/master/calibration/_40x10.STL

Is sliced like this in Cura 14.09:

6ZFxD.jpg

Layer height is 0.2mm, shell tickness 1.2mm (but other values like 0.5 make not big difference in the visual output). The same piece is sliced correctly by Slic3r.

Note: I haven't really tried printing the output gcode, I'm just assuming it won't print well at all given the visualization shown here.

The wall thickness is too thin, and will only slice good, if you change to 0.32 nozzle size.

you can do this in the expert setting, using both "combine everything a-b"

uncheck solid fill on top and bottom, then check spiralize.

Go ahead and print it, see what happens, sometimes the graphic display of the model is strange in cure. I looked at some spring thing on thingiverse and and it appeared as a solid block when sliced in Cura, but i opened and sliced it with Repetier and it look and worked just fine.

Cura does not really like single shell objects. The algorithms behind Cura where not really designed with single wall shells in mind. So that's why you run into problems like this.

It's easier to model it as a single sold block and disable the infill and top/bottom to get the same result as you want.

If it's your cad model and you can edit it, then do what Daid says. Otherwise, set nozzle width to say .3mm and shell to a multiple such as .9mm or 1.2mm then look at slice view. You can go down to about .3mm without too serious loss of quality. You can go lower than .3 also. I would use the max nozzle size possible where it still slices properly. Don't forget to always change the shell width also.

In fact for quick testing I would set nozzle to .3 and shell to .3 and if that works, gradually increase shell to .31 .32 .33 .34 until it stops working and then go back to the largest possible shell width. Then set nozzle to the same value and optionally increase shell to an exact multiple of nozzle size such as .93mm (for .31mm nozzle).

Xeno's advice might work also - if it works it will convert it to a solid part and then remove the top. Instead of spiralize though you could do the "magic" feature just next to spiralize and uncheck "top" and "bottom". Spiralize will give you a bottom to your part. Not sure if you want that.

sometimes the graphic display of the model is strange in cure.

Not for me. Slice view is always the same as what prints.

Not wanting to hijack the thread,

But

I do have a simple calibration piece, consisting of only straight lines (no curves) and it's solid, not hollow, that CURA doesn't seem to be able to slice....

I drew it in Sketchup, and exported as STL.

When loading into CURA (14.12.x) the 'normal view' looks correct, but the layers are wrong - and printing the g-code resukts in the piece like the 'layers'.

I changed the darwing several times - and no success... :(

Sorry, no picture I can attach on this computer.

Sketchup is designed to make visual scenes and so allows impossible-to-print things like infinitely thin planes.

You either have holes in your objects or have extra internal walls. You can see this easily in Cura by selecting "xray view". Sometimes you can fix this by playing with the 4 "fix horrible" checkboxes. Or you can fix your model in sketchup.

Oh - in xray view - anything red is bad. blue and white are good.

Check your drawing in sketchup with the solid inspector plugin. It will let you know if there are issues with the drawing.

You can also select the entire model and select make group. Then check info of the group and it should say solid group.

Thank you - installed the plugin and found MANY problems (slic3r fixed them quietly... well ist showed a 'number' of fixed)

so I fixed my drawing - and it sliced fine!

Printing it NOW

thanks again

I gave up on Sketchup for 3D printing for this exact reason. Whereas I love the speed at which I can model things in Sketchup, its .stl output for solids is horrendous and more often then not, not printable.