Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
superslimeboy

Keeping UM2 Hot Between Prints?

Hi, I've recently been doing a lot of modeling that needs a lot of trial and error so I have to reprint a lot of parts. It's a quick process, but having to wait for the printer to heat back up is really taking a toll on my free time. Is there a way to keep the printer hot between two prints? I usually turn my printer off when I'm not using it so it shouldn't have any problems with being hot while idle for too long.

Thanks,

Superslimeboy

Prints don't pop off so nicely if you don't let the glass cool.

Anyway to answer your question - at the end of every print there is a really loud noise of the Z axis moving downward. Think of that as an alarm. Go over to the printer and do "maintenance" "advanced" "bed temp" (or something like that) and set the temp to desired temp. In fact I always go 1 degree hotter (51C in my case).

Are you printing PLA or ABS? I always print PLA at 50C - it only takes 2 to 3 minutes to get from 20C to 50C.

If they are smallish parts, I pry them off gently with a paint knife and start a new print immediately. If they are large parts they often need the bed to cool down before it will let go of it.

Printing PLA, you don't need to reapply glue or anything so it's totally fine to pop them off and print the next thing.

I wouldn't pry too hard though there are some instances where people have pulled a piece of glass out from the plate along with the print. :shock:

It may not be relevant to your printer but I have a glass tray which sits on top of the bed and self locates with 4 magnets. As the bed is lowering to the home position after the print I slide the tray off and reset the bed and extruder temperatures. Often I can then slide the model straight off the glass tray and then put the tray back on the bed. It only takes a minute or two for the bed to get back to desired temperature.

Nice trick. Just don't put your glass in the freezer or in front of the air conditioning while still hot.

A friend shattered his glass like that while trying the get XT to detach quickly. The model quickly warped and broke the glass at the same time. The model was holding using 3DLac spray.