Anyone try the Bull Dog XL on their Ultimaker?

Posted · Anyone try the Bull Dog XL on their Ultimaker?

The reason I ask is because it seems that people have problems with under-extrusion and skipping steps. This is geared design, so it should help. I have one installed on my Solidoodle 2, and when I get my Ultimaker 2 I intended to try it out.

Does anyone have a geared feeder installed on their printer?

I am not affiliated with reprapdiscount in anyway.

here is a linkhttp://www.reprapdiscount.com/mechanics/64-bulldog-xl-extruder.html

The UM2 splits the extruder into 2 separate parts - the feeder on the back of the machine and the nozzle on the print head. This makes the print head very light weight and you can have accelerations of 5000mm^3/sec. So I don't think it would make sense to use these extruders on the UM2 head.

, the Bulldog XL can be used as a direct-drive OR a bowden-drive feeder tough, see the below picture:

20131125040121-bulldog_XL_bowden_option.jpg?1385380881

i do not know of anyone that tried the bulldog xl, tough i like the idea of a geared feeder and i am myself in progress since a few weeks ago of designing a simple geared feeder upgrade for the UM2 that also reuse the most parts possible (will probably test my first prototype in a few days)

i do not know of anyone that tried the bulldog xl, tough i like the idea of a geared feeder and i am myself in progress since a few weeks ago of designing a simple geared feeder upgrade for the UM2 that also reuse the most parts possible (will probably test my first prototype in a few days)

We've tried the geared feeder route. It reliability quite a bit, but the axis still gets quite hot, causing flattened material problems that you can also experience in the UM2. Another problem was that in the current casing a geared feeder won't really fit.

But the 5:1 ratio of the bulldogXL will really help.

We're actually testing something in between the UM2 and UMO feeder right now. Which is looking quite interesting so far. (That's all I can tell)

Note that the loading&unloading procedure of the UM2 needs adjustments when you use any kind of gearing system.

• Like 2

We've tried the geared feeder route. It reliability quite a bit, but the axis still gets quite hot, causing flattened material problems that you can also experience in the UM2. Another problem was that in the current casing a geared feeder won't really fit.

The problems with the hot axis is one of the problems that i am quite certain my design will fix, since there is no thermal connection to talk about between my motor axis and my drive axis, it will "only" have a gearing ratio between 1:8 and 2:25 tough (depending on wich exact components i go with) and it will be a simple diy bolt on to the back of the UM2 costing less than 20€ in parts :)

We're actually testing something in between the UM2 and UMO feeder right now. Which is looking quite interesting so far. (That's all I can tell)

That sounds quite intresting :)

Note that the loading&unloading procedure of the UM2 needs adjustments when you use any kind of gearing system.

Yup, i am aware of that.

Hi,

has anyone tried the Bulldog XL on an UM 2, yet ? It seems that the gear can be taken off and that then it has about the same size as the stock extruder / feeder. It that true ? Has anyone tried this setup (stock stepper motor with just the bulldog xl feeder / extruder without the gearbox) ?

Regards,

Nils

I using the Bulldog XL on a Ultimaker Original since a half year and I'm really happy with this feeder. I think that a geared feeder is a better solution than a direct feeder anyway.

This is my design for using the Bulldog XL on a UMO:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/bulldog-xl-extruder-mount-for-ultimaker-original

Did you modify the firmware because of the gear ratio ?

Yes, i set the esteps/mm to 495

Where can I find this setting ? In the Configuration.h ? What is it called ?

Where can I find this setting ? In the Configuration.h ? What is it called ?

Yep.. :

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT

... but usually you don't need this.

One can set the steps per mm for each axis with gcode command M92 (and store the settings with M500 to EEPROM)

This applies to the UMO and to the UM2 as well.

@tinkergnome: I guess I have to change the 282, right ?

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80.0,80.0,200,282}

@tinkergnome: I guess I have to change the 282, right ?

i think so... usually the order of the array elements is X, Y, Z, E

Hi i have bought the bulldog XL for my Ultimaker original +.

the Bulldog XL Extruder Mount is PERFECT   markerspatz!!

my question is the wiring from the ultimaker

for the bulldog is

RED A+

BROWN A-

YELLOW B+

Blue B-

i dont find any spec. of the wiring

sorry my english is not so good