Dishwasher Parts!

chrisp

Posted · Dishwasher Parts!

Has anyone printed replacement parts for a dishwasher using ABS?

I have 2 of these rack adjusters that have weak hooks which break very easily. of course the machine is out of warranty now.

Just wandering if anyone has had some luck with dishwasher parts.

2015 01 20 00.21.20

2015 01 20 00.21.29

Any recommendations on PET brands sold in the US that are top quality? I haven't used this filament yet. I found some at Made Solid which seems to have decent reviews.

I think Colorfabb's XT is PET or PET like and is food safe. You can order directly from ColorFabb. Delivery takes about 5-6 days via UPS.

http://www.printedsolid.com/

is the official CF US reseller. I've ordered from them and shipment was very quick. Their problem is stock or lack thereof...

Not to discredit your statement about it being food safe, but where did you find where it says XT is food safe? I looked on Colorfab's website and could not find anything.

From http://colorfabb.com/xt-copolyester :

All these efforts have lead to a unique formulation for 3D Printing that features excellent properties : High strength and very high toughness, Odor Neutral processing, High Tg / improved temp. resistance, Styrene free formulation, FDA food contact compliance, BPA (Bisphenol A ) free formulation.

Ok you got me curious enough to try ... I'll put a scrap piece of XT in the dishwasher tonight ... Its a piece of the original, non colored XT. Ill also measure it to see if there is any shrinkage or deformation.

I don't see the concern on food safety, I never eat from my dishwasher ;) I think all that matters is temperature ...

@Chrisp, will there be any force on the part you need ?

I made this test with XT from 2013; at 65°C. There was no color change. However, it is rumored that clear XT gets a bit more opaque when washed at 70°C.

From http://colorfabb.com/xt-copolyester :

All these efforts have lead to a unique formulation for 3D Printing that features excellent properties : High strength and very high toughness, Odor Neutral processing, High Tg / improved temp. resistance, Styrene free formulation, FDA food contact compliance, BPA (Bisphenol A ) free formulation.

Thanks for the info.

Ok you got me curious enough to try ... I'll put a scrap piece of XT in the dishwasher tonight ... Its a piece of the original, non colored XT. Ill also measure it to see if there is any shrinkage or deformation.

I don't see the concern on food safety, I never eat from my dishwasher ;) I think all that matters is temperature ...

@Chrisp, will there be any force on the part you need ?

I'm not sure if there is a concern when washing dishes clean and having a printed part in the mix, but I just want to be as safe as possible since I care about my family and their well being. I never eat from my dishwater either, but I do eat off the items coming out of it. :mrgreen:

There is some force. It is an adjustment that raises and lowers the top rack so that bigger plates can fit underdneath it, so it holds the weight of the entire top rack when adjustments are made.

I made this test with XT from 2013; at 65°C. There was no color change. However, it is rumored that clear XT gets a bit more opaque when washed at 70°C.

I think mine washed somewhere around 165 F

I did try to make replacement wheels with XT for dishwasher and they melted in the dishwasher because of the weight it needs to hold. I still had no luck.

photo 2

photo 2 (1)

ha ha , who said wheels need to be round ... I think i can cancel the XT test ...

Once melted they are much more stable ;)

Maybe the new HT-PLA will work better

I did try to make replacement wheels with XT for dishwasher and they melted in the dishwasher because of the weight it needs to hold. I still had no luck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byhp9wWpyMGWSFd5ZjJTRVdueGNsODk5YjdJWXdRTUxDbXpv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byhp9wWpyMGWOEx4eTIwMVlJbko4V2d1UlVZQzdIbU5Ed3RV/view?usp=sharing

Did you print the parts with 100% infill?

I can't open the pics, but now I'm torn between being just plain stubborn or listening to your experience. The reason I'm going through the trouble of this post is because I will have to buy the filament and I want to make the right choice... I know the parts will most likely fail again if I buy them. On the other hand, I can still design, print, and test the part and when I fail I will still have a great roll of filament.....

I wonder what these parts were originally made of.

Can you see them now (updated the post above)?

XT is a great material. I made cookie cutters for Christmas and they work great.

Is nylon food safe? My understanding is it is durable even above 100C. Apparently, it behaves differently above Tg which is still listed under 100C. However, for obvious reasons it needs to be printed very hot and therefore probably with an all metal hot end.

And it is about 4x the price of PLA.

Note that I think these are half the weight of a normal spool:

http://fbrc8.com/products/pa6-nylon-filament