Printing Support Structure

keukpa

Posted · Printing Support Structure

I'm just acquired my UM2 printer, and so far I'm loving the print quality it's amazing!

However, I've just tried to print a part that is pretty large and has over hangs, so I need to print support....

However, when the printer starts laying down the first layer of the supports it doesn't seem to quite be touching the glass, even tho the first layer of the part itself was printed perfectly....do I have an incorrect setting somewhere?

I'm printing directly onto glass without a raft.

Thanks,

Keukpa

1) Is "Lincoln" in USA? Please specify a country, thanks.

Could you please post a picture? I don't quite get what you are saying - also look at the part in cura in "layer view" to see if the supports are printing on the first layer or not - scroll through the layers paying attention to the bottoms of your supports.

To post a picture click "gallery" on the top left of this page, then click "upload". Then make a new post and click "my media" next to smile icon.

Cura has a "Layer view" that will let you preview the print. Can you see this lack of contact with the printing bed in the Cura layer view aswell? Which version of Cura are you using?

I'm just acquired my UM2 printer, and so far I'm loving the print quality it's amazing!

However, I've just tried to print a part that is pretty large and has over hangs, so I need to print support....

However, when the printer starts laying down the first layer of the supports it doesn't seem to quite be touching the glass, even tho the first layer of the part itself was printed perfectly....do I have an incorrect setting somewhere?

I'm printing directly onto glass without a raft.

Thanks,

Keukpa

Thanks for the input, I'll attempt to provide more information here.

1) Lincoln is in the UK, about 120 Miles directly north of London :)

2) As for the Layer information, I'll include a screen shot of Cura, I am using version 15.02.1 and Layer 1 is showing that support IS printed on Layer 1

3) I have attached another picture of the problem, the 1st layer of the actual Model prints perfect, however, the Support printing at layer 1 does not stick to the bed and gets pulled away by the printer head.

4) I've been using 3D printers for a number of years and I think the problem could be how Cura prints the FIRST layer of the support structure for which I've also provided a picture. It prints latitude lines in one piece, then the longitude lines in between these are 'start - stop' and it's these TINY pieces of filament that are not sticking....

Any advice / support / tips / help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Keukpa

UM2 Layer 1

Support Not Sticking

20150225 175916

Does it get better if you slow the speed of the print of the first layer way down?

I usually use something are 10mm/s.

On some prints it helps to print the first layer hotter which you can do by setting the extruder temp higher and then reduce it with the TweakAtZ plugin.

Finally, for prints with lots of small detail on the first layer, use hairspray (sprayed into a paper towel and then wiped on the (cold is better) glass) or glue stick. If helps the extruded filament stick quicker and with it and a slower speed and hotter first layer temp, smaller details print better.

Thanks for the tips....

I've tried printing about 40mm/s but that makes no difference at all, I might try 10mm/s and see.

I've tried glue stick but that makes it worse as the filament doesn't stick at all to that.....

The first layer itself prints great, it's just the support foundations that don't stick :/

Cheers,

Keukpa