Cura 15.02.1 printing infill before perimeters

jonnybischof

Posted · Cura 15.02.1 printing infill before perimeters

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but I'm afraid this is giving me worse print results than before...

The newest Cura messed up the printing order:

Infill is printed first, shells second, and finally it does the "100%" infill parts (top, bottom, odd angle walls).

My latest print shows lots of blobs on the vertical surfaces, and the parts where the infill connects to the shell sticks out. So I get vertical lines in my walls.

I guess the reason is that if the infill is printed first (with 15% overlap), there already is some material when the printer does the shells. This leads to the material escaping outwards a little bit. This is not the case when the shells are printed first. At least I never noticed it before.

I'm not sure if it always prints the infill first, or if it depends on the model. I can provide the model that gives me trouble on request (by mail only - it's property of my company).

• Like 1

the best would be an option to select the wanted order.

for me i would prefer perimeter/shell/infill, as mechanical parts will come out more exact, for sure overhangs are more difficult but most mechanical parts have straight surfaces.

so maybe a choice between three types:

* shell/infill/perimeter

* perimeter/shell/infill

* shell/perimeter/infill

Chri

This indeed is an intentional change. As it improved the quality of the high/ulti quality profiles.

What layer thickness are you printing at? (just to see if the seen effects are related to this)

I already merged patches to make this configurable.

I've virtually stopped using Cura for the issues you've mentioned and am now using S3D more. You can choose either inner->outer or outer->inner.

I've noticed a severe degradation when printing with PET+ at .2mm and .25mm. When making rapid moves (doing shells/perimeters within the model body) the nozzle is dragging across the infill and leaving remnants and jostling the model. I haven't tested at smaller layer heights. I need to go back to the 14.x I have installed until this gets fixed.

Same issue here. It is so bad in my case that it has managed to collide and move the glass.

This indeed is an intentional change. As it improved the quality of the high/ulti quality profiles.

What layer thickness are you printing at? (just to see if the seen effects are related to this)

I already merged patches to make this configurable.

Daid, will this make it into the next Cura update?

I am having the exact same problems. I have tried all sorts of workarounds but it seams that the fact the infill is printed first, creates very visible bumps on the outer surface-shell. When the nozzle comes around to print the shell, it smooshes the already laid down infill and creates these bumps.

Anyone had any luck with any kind of workaround? Or some kind of fix?

Is there a workaround for this? When printing at .2mm layers, the first layer will print the perimeter first then the infill, but every layer after that, it will print infill first then the perimeter.

I will try .1mm and .3mm layers tonight to see if the issue is only with .2mm layers?

15.04 let's you choose infill after shell.

I haven't tested it, but you could increase the layer height ever so slightly like 0.21. No need to go to 0.3mm layers.