Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
warderoid

Settings

Hi guys,

Loving the hardware so far, lots of good models off this thing!

I have the Ultimaker 2, and have a project of 4 vases / pots. Can any of you veterans spare the time to look over the file and possibly suggest a way to reduce the amount of print time? The 'normal' settings are estimated at 70hrs!!

Link to file: http://1drv.ms/1HOokc5

Hi Warderoid, the object as it is won't fit my UM2 build plate in cura, some scaling down is needed for the model to "become blue" in Cura.

My suggestion, if you regularly have to print such large pieces, is to get the Olson Block and use a 0.6-0.8 nozzle. This will let you print much faster, at an higher layer height, without fear of underextrusion.

Otherwise you could try layer height 0.2, speed 40 for inner shell/outer shell/infill and see if your times get better. Then print at 220°C.

The problem is that you have some quite steep overhangs in the upper part of the model. Raising the temp or speed too much will not help quality.

However for such big pieces with relatively low details, a bigger nozzle is the real solution as it lets you keep the temp down while still achieving good speeds and layer height.

For the Olson Block see this thread:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/

and this website to buy: http://www.3dsolex.com

In Cura I scaled to 90% to fit it; turned it upside down; switched off infill bottom; set bottom/top thickness to 2.4 (no idea if that will be enough);set layer height to .3 and print speed to 40mm/s (probably can go faster); set nozzle width to .8mm (ie use a .8 nozzle). Print time is shown as 7hr 23min. When you look inside the vase the bottom will no doubt be a mess. Looking at the bottom from the outside it will be fine once the bottom/top thickness is tuned.

Thanks for the help! Very useful comments!

Might try turning it upside down.. I did have to rotate the part 15 degrees and it fit. Not tried the other ones though, will have a look at that now..:s

Yes it does but there are examples out there of bridging further distances than the width of that pot; as long as you put down enough layers at the "top" I would expect to get an acceptable finish. Yes no supports included in the 7hr 23min figure.

Lol I said in my post that it will look a mess- it depends on what the vase is being used for, that may be acceptable or it may not. If it is for display purposes I am thinking you can snip off a lot of the strands and then put in a thin layer of "sand" or glass pebbles. It just may be a good way of dealing with the overhangs at the top. On the positive side even if it is printed in it current orientation the print time will still be in the 7.5 hrs ball park.

Couldn't access the photo. OneDrive wants me to log in. Screw that. Plus will one-drive still host the picture a year from now? 10 years? Please go to the gallery link at top left of this page, click that, click big blue "upload" button. After uploading start a new post (don't edit above please as I won't notice then and really want to see your picture - I love pictures) and then click "my media" while creating the post - it's next to smile icon.

Not at all bad :) If you want to get a great finish on the vase then coat it with XTC-3D and apply plastic primer and automotive acrylic paint. It is certainly big enough to warrant it and the geometry will make the coating application really easy.

Gr5, you make some good points, but also, will Ultimaker still be around in 10 years time?! ;)

Anyway, that link works for me and isn't supposed to enforce people to log on - so sorry about that - I couldn't see to add an image during a post so I gave up.

Yellow Shark, I live in Bournemouth, what are the chances eh?!

Sure, we run our 3D printing business from home so are here nearly all the time. Pop up and I will show you the process and the results. You cannot use the messaging system at the moment; I think because you have made 4 posts and you need to make 5 posts?? Post again and I will check.