changing filament @ iRoberts feeder

robson

Posted · changing filament @ iRoberts feeder

Hi there! I'm a newbie when it comes to 3d printing.. Just got my printer a few weeks back, and now I wonder what's the recommended way to change filament with Roberts feeder?

Cut it off or pull it out when the nozzle is hot? Like when you do an atomic cleaning ?

//Rob

What i usually do:

Set the nozzle temp to the temperature you use for printing (210°c for PLA).

When reached, open the feeder.

I usually push the filament to extrude a little, then i pull it out.

It's always usefull to do an atomic now and then, some do it every material change, i usually do when going for PLA to something else (wood, bronze or XT) and the most of the time when going from an "exotic filament" back to PLA.

I usually just use the change material menu so I don't have to watch the temp going up and just hear when it's starting. Important thing is to open the feeder when material is out and remove the tiny string of plastic with usually a blob of plastic somewhere further up in the tube.

@UltiArjan: You break my heart ;( You ignore the main functionality I created it for :p

I do what Didier does, only I let it cool down to 80-90C before I pull so I get rid of all the plastic and get a nice clean start on the new filament. (no pink when going to white after red)

Same here: heat it up to 200°C, let it cool down (77°C works best on my UM2) and then a cold pull. Every time. I never use the change material setting as it leads to a thin string inside the Bowden tube (hardly, almost not visible) which then blocks everything and leads to underextrusion.

Great community! Thanks for the answers :)