Printing a circular object

kirash4

Posted · Printing a circular object

Is there a way to print a circular object, like a ring, without the printer doing the diagonal infil but rather have it fill it in by going in circles instead? Basically I'm trying to print a large ring shape (200mm diameter) where the thickness of the ring is 5mm (and height is 10mm). I need the infill at 100% for strength, but doing that causes it to fill it in with diagonal lines. And because I'm going to be using translucent material, having the criss-cross layers just doesn't look good.

I kinda want a spiral fill, from the inner circle to the outer and moving up in layers, just going round and round. I don't think that's possible, at least not with the 'Spiral' function, but you get the idea (I hope). Actually, it's very much like when it's laying down a brim, where it spirals it inward.

Suggestions?

I think the G-code for such an object you have to create yourself. Or maybe it can be determined with an alternative slicer, the type of layer formation.

Huh. Never thought it would actually do that but I'm watching the printer do it in amazement. Awesome. Makes me wonder if it would also work on small odd-shapes objects that are flat (uniform height, just not ring shaped, or solid) ... Guess there's only one way to find out. Thanks all!

Yes you can

I should add that the wall follows the shape of the piece and you can print as many walls as you want. I am not sure how the exact middle (the last wall) of the piece would turn out with an irregular shape

Perhaps someone could show a few pictures. I can hardly imagine how the individual layers look like then. Or you can clearly see it in the layer preview?

I should add that the wall follows the shape of the piece and you can print as many walls as you want. I am not sure how the exact middle (the last wall) of the piece would turn out with an irregular shape

Yeah, I kinda figured it has a 50/50 chance of working depending on the piece. What I'm making though is fairly symetrical which should be okay. We'll see when I actually get to print one.

Can you use spiralize and make the shell thickness really thick?

you can not use the Spiralize-Function (in expert settings/black magic), because Cura is slicing it for a single perimeter und tries to extrude a 5mm thick outer wall with one single line (which is continously moving in z+), so it wants to extrude way too much material and you will get immediate clicks. best shell thickness i get by spiralizing is 0.8mm at a layer height of 0.1mm

so mnis' way to go would be to turn off spiralizing and go for 5mm wall thickness (better aim for 4.8 or 5.2 as its a multiple of your nozzle size and your material flow stays at 100%) at 0% infill.

cura13shells

Cura does not really show it properly in layer view but if you take the g-code across to Repetier Host you see this

circle

As you can see the middle wall is a bit strange as in places it is a wall and in other places it looks like infill, which was set to 0 in Cura. Of course that may just be a graphics code thing