Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
abominatus

Cura 15.02.1 not printing support material

Hello all. I have owned an Ultimaker 2 for about a year now and have generally had great results with it. I have however noticed that on some models support material is not generated for some overhanging parts. In model in the image for example the bottom of the hair, among other parts, does not get any support material making it impossible to print. Interestingly when I go onto view overhang the hair is not registered as overhanging, however other parts requiring similar supports such as the fingers are registered. Despite this neither of them get any support. Also it does not appear to be an issue with the model file as the the code is generated to print the hair and fingers, they would just be floating for the majority of the print. I have noticed this issue with quite a few other models too. Any advice on what I can do to solve this would be greatly appreciated, I have had a play with the support settings however they do not seem help. Also this is my first time on the forums so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

jxvqGie.png2KLOeXl.pngv8yyQJ7.pngwdVL1df.pngkog5tuR.png

Thanks for responding. I have had a play with those setting with little success. While changing the X/Y distance to a large value like 5mm does seem to force the support back such that the hair is supported, that of course removes the support for other parts of the print, such as the skirt. It seems to just move the issue around. As for selecting the touching build plate option that removes a large amount of the support that is needed but it does not add any.

Use Autodesk's Meshmixer (free) which is probably the de facto standard for supports, http://www.123dapp.com/meshmixer. It requires a bit more work than Cura but is infinitely better for a lot of geometries. You could always do the missing bits in Meshmixer and then bring the file across to Cura to add the rest; not that I have ever done that.

If you use meshmixer, increase the column width of the supports by quite a bit - maybe double them. They tend to be much too skinny and fall over or break too easily. Also you can crosslink them to keep them strong if they are very tall. Just click on the side of one support then lower down or higher up on another.