Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

usefulness of points and levels

gothampixel

Posted · usefulness of points and levels

If points are to be an indication of how active and helpful a member is, giving 100 points for every year someone has been a member skews that purpose.

example: I have have been a member for only 1 year and have 44 posts, I'm at level 13 with 178 points.

There are many members that have only posted 5 times but are at level 21 with 405 points because their join date was 2012. There is a good chance they are no longer active in the community.

the numbers have no meaning unless you post several hundred times a year.

Hi @gothampixel, thanks for the valuable feedback! The level system will probably be tweaked a few times to find the sweet spot. However, what you mentioned should indeed be changed. I've looked at it and we're changing it to 10 points for a 1 year member, 20 points for a 2 year member, etc. I think this is a better setup! Tonight we will do a recalculation on points and also award badges to users with enough points/posts/years member.

Let us know if you have any more feedback.

- Matthijs

• 1 year later...

Suggestion: You know how to make the forums super active? Say at every 500 points of relevant material. Send the productive community member a roll of your super cool silver PLA filament.

Rewards as in "free stuff" should not be tied to a post counter, else we might end up with more or less spam posts just to increase the count.

However, a nice appproach would be to use "best answers" counter instead - or "likes" received.

Also, pictures from cute looking dogs or cats should not count... ;)

@nallath: Interesting thoughts...

Archived