How to improve strength

spooner777

Posted · How to improve strength

I am trying to print a camera stabilisation device for the gopro cameras. It is my own design so I can change it but there is not much I can do about the connector itself.

gopro-tripodadapter-gp2014_l.jpg

The layers on those 3 pins always separate when there is a force. Is there anyway I can make the bond stronger? It won´t brake in the direction of the fiber but only between layers.

I am printing on Cura with the default High quality settings and the results look good.

Another thing I would like to ask is, how can I reduce the amount of ooze?

I am trying to print a camera stabilisation device for the gopro cameras. It is my own design so I can change it but there is not much I can do about the connector itself.

gopro-tripodadapter-gp2014_l.jpg

The layers on those 3 pins always separate when there is a force. Is there anyway I can make the bond stronger? It won´t brake in the direction of the fiber but only between layers.

I am printing on Cura with the default High quality settings and the results look good.

Another thing I would like to ask is, how can I reduce the amount of ooze?

change direction you are printing, in other words, turn the object by 90 deg. the bonds between the layers are usually the weakest points (especially if you print ABS too cold).

you can reduce the mount of ooze (stringing) by lowering the temp (for PLA), and increase the print speed a bit, and increase the retraction distance/speed in your slicer.

The problem is that If I turn it by 90° then it just splits the other way arround. And I cant print the pins flat without support.

Thought there would be some kind of trick to bond the layers together better.

The problem is that If I turn it by 90° then it just splits the other way arround. And I cant print the pins flat without support.

Thought there would be some kind of trick to bond the layers together better.

well, this is where creative printing comes into play...

I don't see that part splitting when printed the other way... did you do some tests and it split?

are you printing ABS? or PLA?

to get better adherence, print ABS 5-10C hotter, makes better layer adherence. I print mine at 250C, and I have zero delamination problems right now, even on smaller parts.

I can't say much about PLA... I never saw much delamination issues with PLA at any temperature, but I gave up on PLA.

for PLA,

it's weak when pulled on the z-axis, strong when pushed on the z-axis

de-lamination in x and y occur due to insufficient surface contact across the size of the print.

strongest way to print the part in the photo there would be to rely mostly on the infill for strength - use a couple of perimeters and a circular infill.

nik

In my experience (albeit not as extensive as some of the guys here) adding a few extra perimeters makes a huge impact on strength on some parts. I once did a test where I printed a cylinder with a dome on top with extra perimeters that made the wall maybe 2-2.5mm thick with a normal infill, I then put it in a vice and started cranking down on it. It took a surprising amount of force before it cracked, it did deform a bit before cracking of course but it was pretty damn strong.

The thing is that one the high quality cura settings it prints with completeley filled layers. There are no voids in the shape it seems as if everything is filled well by the material. But I still cant get it ver strong. I also have another small part that breaks all the time. Even though it would be more than strong enough if it was injection molded. Is ABS stronger?

Have you tried printing which a higher temperature? This fuses the layers together better. I would start off with 230C but you could go all the way to 250C. Also don't print too fast.

Thanks, Ill try that! I printed at 230C° already. And also did one print at 400% which looked perfect.

How did it go?

Did you try higher temps and/or lower speeds and did you get a stronger part?

Daniel

How did it go?

Did you try higher temps and/or lower speeds and did you get a stronger part?

Daniel

While I didn't need strength, we made a water tight connector last Tuesday. It took us 4 tries. The best settings in Cura where:

240C, 0.1mm layers, 0.4mm walls, 100% infill, 1.5mm retraction, 40mm/s, filament diameter of 2.7mm

With 4.5mm retraction we had tiny holes in the result, we did get strings with 1.5mm retraction, but better some strings then losing water.

COngrats to Daid for the Job by the way!