Powering Raspberry Pi from Ultimaker 2 main board

Posted · Powering Raspberry Pi from Ultimaker 2 main board
4 hours ago, gr5 said:

You mentioned facebook so I went over there and found this photograph - I think you posted it...

So it looks like you are good with soldering and such and probably know how to recognize chips and such.  If you flip the white board over you can see a largish square chip (driver) located "near" each of the stepper connectors.  There are 5 stepper connectors (X,Y,Z,E0,E1).  Check to see if there are corresponding 5 chips or if E1 has a blank area.  Your printer is old enough that I suspect you have a driver for E1 which you can hookup to Y stepper if you modify the firmware.

Screenshot from 2020-08-05 11-06-26.png

Could you please give me some more information about updating the firmware to swap the E1 and Y ports?  This is an awesome solution to my problem, is free of charge, and honestly I can’t screw something up even more than I already have. You are awesome! I also checked out your website, Some of the mods you sell are pretty slick. I like the Z line removal.

Okay so I gave you miminal info as I wasn't sure if you wanted to go this route.  I warned you that even for an experienced programmer this can take a few hours (not that you have to change a single line of code - but the compiler setup is very involved - lots of software to install and configure).

Please follow that link to get the source code from ultimaker on GIT.  Actually even better use tinkergnome's source code.  Also on git: https://github.com/tinkergnome/

Okay, so there are 2 files that a complete noob/non programmer should be able to edit.  One is "Configuration.h".  I strongly recommend you glance at that and read the comments.  It gives you an idea of the possibilites you can do easily - for example change the upper limit on temperature.

But you will only need to edit pins.h.  Find that file.  Read it.  Try to find the actual pin used for the second extruder and for the Y axis.  Swap them.  Make a comment of what you did as it's really really easy to get confused and swap the wrong pins or lose track of which version swaps the pins and which doesn't.

Everything else you need to know is in that link I already posted that says how to build the firmware for UM2.  Note that tinkergnomes build process (which is what I used) makes several at once if I remember right.  There's the UM2 version, UM2+, um2go, um2ext, um2ext+, um2go with heated bed.  I think that's it.  when I last did a build I seem to remember it built several of those all at once.  Anyway, please give it a shot.  When you get stuck post in that other thread that talks about how to build Marlin for UM2.

31 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Okay so I gave you miminal info as I wasn't sure if you wanted to go this route.  I warned you that even for an experienced programmer this can take a few hours (not that you have to change a single line of code - but the compiler setup is very involved - lots of software to install and configure).

Please follow that link to get the source code from ultimaker on GIT.  Actually even better use tinkergnome's source code.  Also on git: https://github.com/tinkergnome/

Okay, so there are 2 files that a complete noob/non programmer should be able to edit.  One is "Configuration.h".  I strongly recommend you glance at that and read the comments.  It gives you an idea of the possibilites you can do easily - for example change the upper limit on temperature.

But you will only need to edit pins.h.  Find that file.  Read it.  Try to find the actual pin used for the second extruder and for the Y axis.  Swap them.  Make a comment of what you did as it's really really easy to get confused and swap the wrong pins or lose track of which version swaps the pins and which doesn't.

Everything else you need to know is in that link I already posted that says how to build the firmware for UM2.  Note that tinkergnomes build process (which is what I used) makes several at once if I remember right.  There's the UM2 version, UM2+, um2go, um2ext, um2ext+, um2go with heated bed.  I think that's it.  when I last did a build I seem to remember it built several of those all at once.  Anyway, please give it a shot.  When you get stuck post in that other thread that talks about how to build Marlin for UM2.

You are awesome! I will give it a shot. Thanks again man.You are awesome! I will give it a shot. Thanks again man.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

But you will only need to edit pins.h.  Find that file.  Read it.  Try to find the actual pin used for the second extruder and for the Y axis.  Swap them.

You only need to do this for the section that is related to "MOTHERBOARD == 72"

Just swap the defined pin numbers for:

Y_STEP_PIN    <->  E1_STEP_PIN
    Y_DIR_PIN     <->  E1_DIR_PIN
    Y_ENABLE_PIN  <->  E1_ENABLE_PIN

Leave Y_STOP_PIN alone.

That's all.

Posted (edited) · Powering Raspberry Pi from Ultimaker 2 main board

Hello all. Can I power a second board like a makerbase robin using the Ultiboard?

Edited by my3DBr