Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
damfal003

Powering Raspberry Pi from Ultimaker 2 main board

I'm considering buying a raspberry pi and camera module, and installing OctoPrint, or more possibly 3DPrinterOS (due to its support for UltiGCode and access anywhere, not just on the LAN), and am wondering whether it's possible to power the Pi directly from the Arduino board of the UM2. (which I believe is an arduino Mega, right?)

Could I just power it off the 5V/GND pins (using a splitter or breadboard) if they are already in use? Or would this draw too much current from the circuit and affect the function of the printer itself?

It would be great if I could, so I can just glue the Pi onto the inside/underside of the printer and not worry about it or know it's there.

thanks

I have also been thinking about this, and since i do not have the power budget for the UM2 and cant be bothered with doing all the calculations i have been looking at using a LM2596 step-down module of the kind that costs about 1€ at eBay and connect it directly to the 24V rail from the power supply.

I´m kinda ashamed asking this, but here it goes...

Could somebody please point me to where can I find the correlations of pins like swordriff just posted above?

I mean, PIN 8 from EXP2 is X on the board, and then Y on Marlin, etc...

As in here for the Ultimaker v1.5.7 PCB.

I need to reassign some pins and am having a hard time finding this info...

Edited by Guest

http://tinyurl.com/q2pfzlj

maybe this will help ?

I think there have been a few changes on the board (option to turn of heater fan) but I haven't seen it on github ...

(had to use tinyurl as the forum did not accept the long url correctly, think because of the brackets in it...)

Edited by Guest

http://tinyurl.com/q2pfzlj

maybe this will help ?

I think there have been a few changes on the board (option to turn of heater fan) but I haven't seen it on github ...

(had to use tinyurl as the forum did not accept the long url correctly, think because of the brackets in it...)

Yeah, it helps, ty. I thought it should be there somewhere. :) But what to the abbreviations mean? TP23, ADC0, PD7? How do I know where I can connect a thermistor, for example?