Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kris

Cooling the feeder

Hi

Has anybody considered cooling the feeder?

Tried several prints during the weekend. All prints failed fairly early on; at first material flow was OK. After a while every print experience underextrusion that would culminate in 0% material flow. As usual I suspected a clogged nozzle. Cleaned it...several times. Didn't help.

Finally I realized that the PLA filament had been flattened by the feeder. The feeder could still grab on to it, but with the new shape the filament would cause significant friction in the tube. No chance for the feeder to able to push it to the hotend. I had previously notice on my UM2's that the feeder wheel would get very warm because it is directly connected to the stepper motor. In addition, due to the climate we had close to 30°C in the room.

I then put a fan behind one of the printers to help cool the feeder. Problem solved.

I am no considering placing small fans to the rear of the prnter to help keep the feeder/ filament cool.

What do you guys think? Any similar experiences?

Cheers,

Kris

I haven't done it myself but I've heard of others who had your exact problem and fixed it by adding a small fan back there. I'd say go for it. Especially with the heat wave going on right now it's not a bad idea to help the printer cope.

Same here - i had the feeder wheel 'flatten' the filament before it got into the Bowden tube.

Must have been the v hot weather we had in the UK recently - that won't last but a cooling fan on that feeder stepper motor does sound interesting...

I wish Ultimaker had provided a layer of insulation between the feeder shaft and the knurled sleeve somehow. They are in netherlands and if the temp reaches 25C they act like they are going to die of the heat, lol. They probably rarely run the machine that hot.

I have had the inside of my machine at 40C but only when printing ABS which doesn't get soft until around 100c.

There was a woman in brazil on the forums who had the same issue at 30C.

I have purchased two 60mm fans and designed a printable fan mount.

My UM2's are all enclosed with acrylic and I will simple cut out a piece of the acrylic and mount the fan to blow directly onto the feeder. I guess it cannot hurt to cool PLA even below 30C. I have noticed that there is a small deformation of the filament even below that temperature. That causes unnecessary friction in the bowden.

By the way; does anyone know if I can run an additional fan (12V) from the mainboard?

It has got a 3Pin Molex connector. If not I'll just use an external power supply.

same issue here (my first after a few prints).

I thought it was a nozzle prob so I tried changing filament, but it didn't move. Then I noticed the filament was jammed in the feeder.

P1050453.jpg

ps it's 22C here right now so that can't be the issue I guess.