your most useful tool?

fluxline

Posted · your most useful tool?

Another very useful tool I bought recently: A crochet hook :)

It helps to snag the thin filament strands that get stuck inside the extruder while swapping filament.

or are you going to crotchet socks instead of 3D printing in future? :mrgreen:

• 4 months later...

I find tweezers are a useful tool to have around 3D-printers. You can get tiny bits of stringed filament out of the way without interfering too much with the moving parts and they are ideal to remove excess material oozing from the hot end before extrusion.

Goodday to you!

I use a kind of knife, see image at

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8365-paletmes/

It is nice thin and is pretty handy.

I am very happy with these towels too;

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8366-towels/

It cleans up the glassplate, nice and clean, no hassle.

Minke

why settle on just one? This is my top drawer of tools that I go to most often.

3D printing tools

shortened screwdriver for removing the fancap, bent paperclip to hang the fancap on a rod, while changing the nozzle.

tools

My very favorite!

a soldering iron (regulated) with a customized tooltip. Created from a piece of thick copper electrical wire with a flattened tip, like a mini spatula.

Great for finishing prints, finishing retraction leftovers, correcting little irregularities, welding pieces together, filling gaps (not pretty, but useful sometimes) and...

best part for me: first layer big print with lots of support lines; the start or end of the line can be melted to the tape (cold bed) when they tend to curl up.

I print a lot with a 0.8 nozzle and stuff like XT or Woodfill and there the first layer is trickier to put down.

2014 10 15 10.48.06