bubbles on first layer

cips

Posted · bubbles on first layer

Hi.

I'm learing how to use my UM original with its new heated bed kit just mounted. I'm struggling in getting good prints. For example, look at the picture below:

bubble.thumb.JPG.fbd3af4f7d60645961972841ae327ee4.JPG

In the first layer I'm getting this bubbles. I though it was the heated bed too hot, so I tried to print with cold bed, but I have the same results.

Do you know what can be done for this?

Thanks,

cips

bubble.thumb.JPG.fbd3af4f7d60645961972841ae327ee4.JPG

Posted (edited) · bubbles on first layer

I can't fully answer this since I have the same. But I almost solved by:

- Aligning the head with a 0.05 gauge feeler.

- Changing the first layer height. For my 0.2 prints I use 0.2 and 120% material. Also 80% material worked

- Slowing down the first layer speed

- Using high quality filament helps

Ofc the easiest sollution it's to use glue/hairspray/etc.

Last week I found one of my shafts woobles so right now I'm not sure if that's the problem (now I have to deal with imakr customer service to get a sollution/replacement/wherever). Anyhow speed and calibration make this better and at least my first layer it's close to perfect without glue on the heated bed (pla).

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure what causes that. I've seen that before also. But not very often. I agree that bed temp is not related. I think it's possibly too much flow - caused by bad leveling - (head too close to glass). Your leveling is very close so stop using the procedure and just tighten the 3 screws by 1/4 turn or half turn to see if that "bubble" stuff gets better.

a clean surface might help, yours looks 'scarred' from previous prints. Either totally clean or with diluted and dryed glue. When the rippling starts, gently push the platform up or down to see what the effect is before turning the screws. Slowing down will help also until it recovers you can speed it up again. Most of the time it is a leveling issue and when it starts it is going on repeating the pattern. Break the pattern by adjusting the height up or down.

Posted (edited) · bubbles on first layer

I am printing a lot of large flat objects at the moment (letters) and get this everytime i think it is to to do with the nozzle being too close, but i prefer it that way, after the next layer it flattens it so I dont even bother worrying about it. Im printing in 0.2 BTW but ive seen it in many forms. dont worry about it. you wont see it afterwards unless you leave it at only one layer so its all good...

20150713_161436.thumb.jpg.122d66eb51acfd89837ecf24c3bec147.jpg

Dont worry about the weird patterns, its because i rarely ever change my glue now, and i always get  perfectly flat surface. In my opinion its always better having the nozzle closer to the glass at the start of the print than further away due to the pla sticking to the glass much better especially for thin letters and anything of any detail.

I've got many more to do so ill show you how bad the next one looks at the start....

Now if only someone solved the incomplete flat top surface for 0.2mm layer prints! lol. That one still puzzles me at increasing temp does nothing or flow either. Oh well, its good enough for what i need anyhows.

20150713_161436.thumb.jpg.122d66eb51acfd89837ecf24c3bec147.jpg

Edited by Guest

Just thought i would let you know, after i cleaned the outside of the nozzle as well as the inside i stopped getting this, so perhaps try that. If the nozzle is blackened it needs cleaning. heat it up and wipe it down with a damp towel, and then get the edge of a scalpel blade and gently scrape the outside so you see the brass. If its dirty then very fine filament strands can easily get hooked on it and slowly cause blobs and unwanted extra heat from the extra bulidup of pla on the nozzle. (if youre using PLA that it.)

I more or less solved it with two things:

1. I aligned better the bed

2. I changed the filament. The one I was using was not so good....

Thanks to all...

• Like 1