Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Lofrank

What should I do if I want to use exactly 3.0mm filament on my UM2?

I found that it's really hard to buy 2.85mm filament on my country, but have many choices for 3.0mm filaments.

So I want to do some modification on my UM2 and make it works for real 3.0mm filament.

Is changing a nozzle that accept 3.0mm filament enough?

I use PLA most time.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

As far as I know you can use 3mm filament without problems, but make sure there is no deviation in the 3mm (thicker then 3mm), as it might get stuck in the bowden tube.

some users have added a tiny drop of oil in the bowden tube, to help the filament through,

this does not impact the print.

just change the setting in Cura from 2.85 (standard) to 3mm in the expert settings, and you are set to go :)

but measure the filament when you get it, it might be advertised as 3mm, but still be 2.85mm

this makes it confusing when ordering filament :O

Edited by Guest

No not need continuously to add lubricant.

Make a small arrangement with "pipe-cleaner" metal spiral around filament

below feeder.

Put end of "wire with cotton" down into small flask with glycol ( have not tested,but guessing would work.). Try to find another lubricant.

Adjust number of turns around filament to adjust amount of "oil" added. Only needs to touch lightly lightly in 1 or 2 small places.. what do you think?

This is Just a solution to get you out of the trouble with oversized filament.

You have a 2.000E + machine. Why use 20 dollar filament?

Some from UM is very good, Colorfabb, and Diamondage.

Printability varies with color, widely!

Some PLA has a too wide range of transtion between melt and firm state, so strings more etc...

The PTFE Isolator coupler inner dia it's 3.2mm, so (I don't have an UM2) but I think you could work with 3mm filament by just changing the bowden tube (one with more dia than the standard one) and designing a clamp for that bowden (using a traditional Pneumatic coupler system for your new bowden dia). It shouldn't by too hard... I think... Specially if you print a |Robert| Feeder and adjust the design to fit that pneumatic m8 screw (I did that on a series of test when I was adapting my UMO+ for 1.75 filament).

And it's nice sometimes to use 16€ on my machine btw, it prints not cool, but it's nice to have that option when you know you are going to throw 2 kilos of pla in prototypes.

Just to check. Are you sure that the filament is truly 3mm? 2.85mm is usually advertised as "3mm" if it is meant for 3d printers. If you're buying random plastic filament meant for other purposes than that's a different story.

Yes, I'm quite sure about this, the sellers also confirmed this.

Almost all China made FDM 3D printers are designed to use 1.75mm/3.0mm filament (as I know), so currently no one sells 2.85mm filament here.

I also confused about this...

And I'm going to print your feeder, thanks so much.

Thanks @neotko

I'm going to buy a bowden tube, and print a |Robert| Feeder.

There's zero designs with pneumatic couplers on youmagine for um2. I would design one first before shopping...

Something I suppose like this but for UM2. https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-bowden-clamp-v3

Btw I was able to adapt the robert feeder by just using a m8 cap tool. But it's a lot of manual work :D

Edited by Guest

@IRobertI

I have a quick question for you.

The 'Low friction UM2 spoolholder' designed by you is really fantastic.

My question is why don't you use 688-2RS ball bearing (Which is also used by feeder, I think it's more easy to obtain), but use 608/626 ?

And I will be appreciated if you can make a 688 version.

Thanks.