Ultimaker 2 Firmware for dual extrusion with Simplify3d

KevinMakes

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Firmware for dual extrusion with Simplify3d

So, simplify3D told me that with their software I could indeed go forward with using the dual extruder setup on my ultimaker 2. Turns out that the software they provide does NOT come with firmware to recognize and utilize the second extruder as suggested. So My question to everyone is. Who can point me in the correct direction of the firmware i need. I am not a programmer by any means besides simple apis, and macros, in vb for app. I am in desperate need of getting this up and running I have deadlines to meet, and would be very grateful/ generous to anyone who could come up with working firmware.

• Like 1

You will need to make custom firmware yourself, sorry. It's not that hard and there are marlin builders out there that simplify this.

If they suggested that they have such firmware, you should simply contact simplify3d.

You might want to read the answer @gr5 did on this mod-hack post https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer?page=49#reply-113424

Also, you might find interesting that @ultiarjan made a mod to use this idea on UM2. And indeed it works nice. It's a lot of pages, but it's worth the read. Also on page 27 he posted a Project Summary.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Firmware for dual extrusion with Simplify3d

i mixed in the quote from the other thread:

I am trying to set up my ultimaker 2 with the dual extruders. I can put anything together but I am not a programmer by any means. any advice?

Who can point me in the correct direction of the firmware i need.

Sorry, but it highly depends on what you put together...

(i think you don't explained this yet?)

There is a dual extruder version of the UM2 firmware from stock - included in all recent versions of Cura.

You know your hardware setup - you have to decide if it is sufficient for you.

Edit:

Perhaps you could also explain how this topic is related to Simplify3D? Any firmware runs on its own, there should be no dependency on a specific slicer....?

Edited by Guest

True there's a ".hex" file for dual um2, but also that's quite hidden. If you use mac you need to open contents packed and (on last cura) go Resources/cura/resources/firmware and there you have marlinultimaker2-dual.hex this 'hex' you can upload it to the printer by usb from cura

If you use windows it's easy to locate since it's just a file. But also, to know that that 'exists' there, that isn't explained anywhere else.

• Like 1

Okay well I guess I will go into a bit more detail, simplify 3D has a few options necessary to the project im working on and its better than cura in my opinion, the ultimaker is upgraded with all original parts from fabrk8 the ultimaker 2 board has all the connections for a second extruder out of the box. there is no firmware that I can find for ultimaker 2 with the controllers for the second extruder or at least I cant find it. Am i just internet blind. if you know of the firmware I would love to have it.

You will need to make custom firmware yourself, sorry. It's not that hard and there are marlin builders out there that simplify this.

If they suggested that they have such firmware, you should simply contact simplify3d.

I contacted durring the sales process and I asked specifically

"

Q Can it be used directly with the ultimaker 2?

A We have an Ultimaker 2 in office that we use with Simplify3D over SD card and over USB ??

printing. There is a default profile in the software for that machine.

Q Does it come with/need firmware for dual extrusion with the ultimaker 2?

A If you've upgraded your Ultimaker 2 for dual-exrusion you can use that with Simplify3D.

Q Is it reliable enough for business use?

A Simplify3D is used by many businesses around the world, from small prototyping shops to extremely large multi-national companies.

"

So I don't know if it were a matter of me being unclear or what.

They obviously have the firmware for it or they wouldn't have been able to make the ultimaker 2 dual profile that they sent me.

True there's a ".hex" file for dual um2, but also that's quite hidden. If you use mac you need to open contents packed and (on last cura) go Resources/cura/resources/firmware and there you have marlinultimaker2-dual.hex this 'hex' you can upload it to the printer by usb from cura

If you use windows it's easy to locate since it's just a file. But also, to know that that 'exists' there, that isn't explained anywhere else.

Do you have any clue where that unused hex might be located?

I saw one or two of those "marlin builders" went through the process of selecting my hardware generated the hex and installed it through cura, (ultimaker screen went blank) do I need to replace the replace the original hex inside the cura files with the new one and choose to install the "original" firmware?

Do you have any clue where that unused hex might be located?

It's part of the Cura software

• Like 1

I saw one or two of those "marlin builders" went through the process of selecting my hardware generated the hex and installed it through cura, (ultimaker screen went blank) do I need to replace the replace the original hex inside the cura files with the new one and choose to install the "original" firmware?

No need. Just use the option to upload custom firmware and select that hex

• Like 1

It should be the same firmware if you have it on your mac and know where it is could you upload it somewhere? As much as I love trying to self teach programming languages on the fly I would like to take the easy out this time.

No need. Just use the option to upload custom firmware and select that hex

haha okay then, Ill take a peek for it.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Firmware for dual extrusion with Simplify3d

It should be the same firmware if you have it on your mac and know where it is could you upload it somewhere? As much as I love trying to self teach programming languages on the fly I would like to take the easy out this time.

Im on my mobile so I can't atm. Just open the folder where you have Cura and search for hex files inside to locate it

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Oh for crissake... its been there the...ENTIRE TIME. I am about the biggest knobend spoon on the planet.

You, mr.neotko, are a legend...

for anyone else reading this that is in the same boat it is located in... \Cura_15.02.1\resources\firmware

I'm not too sure what the correct version (most up to date) is because there are tons of them but I can manage from here I think.

XD don't worry the firmware it's the easy part. Getting dual extrusion on um2 with the heaters too close to each other (if you don't go magnetic head changer) it's a pain as far as I know. Nozzles dripping like mad, heat going everywhere and more dripping. I really remomend you go magnetic head changer if you really want to have decent quality prints.

Do I need to mark this as resolved? I never read forum rules :p

XD don't worry the firmware it's the easy part. Getting dual extrusion on um2 with the heaters too close to each other (if you don't go magnetic head changer) it's a pain as far as I know. Nozzles dripping like mad, heat going everywhere and more dripping. I really remomend you go magnetic head changer if you really want to have decent quality prints.

I actually designed a dual feed hotend, and a dual extrusion hotend that creates negative pressure due to the shape of the melting flue portion for a resistance to messes. And in all honesty the parts are quite large, and part of the sales process will be throwing the products in the tumbler, then acetone steam bath, so the mess can actually be a cool part of seeing it come from dirt to diamonds so to speak.

I actually designed a dual feed hotend, and a dual extrusion hotend that creates negative pressure due to the shape of the melting flue portion for a resistance to messes. And in all honesty the parts are quite large, and part of the sales process will be throwing the products in the tumbler, then acetone steam bath, so the mess can actually be a cool part of seeing it come from dirt to diamonds so to speak.

Sounds interesting. Share some photos of your prints when you have it running.

Sounds interesting. Share some photos of your prints when you have it running.

Will Do !

• Like 1

Well there appears to be an issue with the .hex provided by cure. the extrusion is actually retraction and vis versa with the second extruder. Is there a configuration.h or something I can edit to do the inverse?

You could invert the extruder, change the extruder cable polarity or assemble a marlin with your configuration.

You could invert the extruder, change the extruder cable polarity or assemble a marlin with your configuration.

Working on the extruder polarity, do you know of a good marlin assebling tool for um2. i found one but it was only for um1