Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
3dnerd

Cura 15.02.01 - Problem witj Minimal Layer Time

I think it's the oposite. For layer time x = or less then lift head or pause. So if the layer time you set it's 5 tehn all the layers with that or less time used will have a pause or lift of the head. It doesn't set the minimum layer time but it affects layers with that time or less. So you must set 4 seconds if that's what it takes to print it. Anyway for small items it's really good to print more than one even 3 being that small to allow the material to set. Specially if it's pla

Edited by Guest

Hi,

(copied to here, since I posted in the wrong category)

Today I wanted to print a tripod / photo screw.

I started the first print and saw that the thread is not very clean, looks like two or more layers melt together.

I watched the print process and could see that the printer takes only 4 seconds for one layer for the shaft and thread layers.

Now I increased the 'Minimal Layer Time' to 15 seconds, as you can see here:

CvhUpt1.jpg

Then I did a 2nd print but still the layer time for shaft and thread is only about 4 seconds, not 15 what I set under 'Minimal Layer Time'.

I checked several times, and saved the file with 15 sec. 'Minimal Layer Time' using a different filename, but UM2 does not increase the layer time :-(

What I am missing?

Thanks...

user 'neotko' answered (thanks):

I think it's the oposite. For layer time x = or less then lift head or pause. So if the layer time you set it's 5 tehn all the layers with that or less time used will have a pause or lift of the head. It doesn't set the minimum layer time but it affects layers with that time or less. So you must set 4 seconds if that's what it takes to print it. Anyway for small items it's really good to print more than one even 3 being that small to allow the material to set. Specially if it's pla

Cura never reduces the printing speed below the "minimum speed" setting, no matter of the value for the minimum layer time.

"Cool head lift" affects the surface quality too much (speaking from my own experience).

Probably the best solution is - as neotko suggested - print more then one at a time and use a nozzle temperature from the lower end of the scale.