A vision on recycling, a Perpetual Plastic Project story

SandervG

Posted · A vision on recycling, a Perpetual Plastic Project story

At this very moment there are huge amounts of waste plastic, vast amounts in fact, and only 10 to 12% of it is being recycled. The rest ends up in the environment all over the world, even in our food, it literally ends up everywhere.

Enter Perpetual Plastic Project – a collective of engineers looking to change the world by reducing the amount of plastic.

Their aim is simple. You take waste plastic and turn it into something useful – plastic that’s perfect for 3D printing! This creates a circular economy where the material from the initial product can be used for the next. There is an industrial revolution 3.0 happening as we speak, with the invention of 3D printers. By closing the circle we want to start industrial revolution 3.5. Lets do it right from the start!

A pretty good idea in our books.

If you want to read the entire story, please go here.

You may have heard from Jonas before, or PPP. That is correct!

We also wrote another story about them, featuring their own 100% recycled filament.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · A vision on recycling, a Perpetual Plastic Project story
As far as I know PPP send out their filaments in cardboard for the same reason.

I love these initiatives!

Yes, even the spools are made of carton... you can buy the material here (brand name is 'refil')

http://www.refil.nl/shop.html

Edited by Guest

Love the idea, but i think they are overselling with comments like reused plastic is the same a new. At least for PLA the properties change a bit if you put it through several heating cycles or if it's been in the environment soaking up water from the air, etc.

Also AFAIK the home extruders still can not match the precision tolerances of filament you buy from a reputable company. and good tolerances on filament is important to good prints.

Still love the idea and the message of keeping plastic out of the waste stream. But maybe they should be pointing out the limitations of this concept and inviting people to work on improving in these areas.

Love the idea, but i think they are overselling with comments like reused plastic is the same a new. At least for PLA the properties change a bit if you put it through several heating cycles or if it's been in the environment soaking up water from the air, etc.

Also AFAIK the home extruders still can not match the precision tolerances of filament you buy from a reputable company. and good tolerances on filament is important to good prints.

Still love the idea and the message of keeping plastic out of the waste stream. But maybe they should be pointing out the limitations of this concept and inviting people to work on improving in these areas.

It's getting a bit confusing.... assume you now talk about '3devo' (totally agree).

With regard to 'refill' they only do ABS (black from car dashboards) and pet (from bottles). I treid the pet and it printed real nice.

I know Jonas personally and have been in touch with them from the beginning. This story is about their vision, and why they started perpetual plastic project.

This story came out earlier, but was recorded later. Because they were going to launch their own material, and we wanted to support them we published it sooner. In fact, ReFil originated from their vision and experiments. They don't make this filament on those machines in the video anymore, they generally use them to underline and illustrate their vision and business.

It's true the properties change from PLA, that is why they are focussing on ABS and PET. These behave differently. They have done a lot of tests to see if the result is different from regular filament and the results were quite good! Biggest difference was the source of the filament, i.e. new or recycled.

To achieve this quality they are very selective where they get it from, that is why the ABS is solely from certain dashboards and PET is from a empty bottles.

I would recommend to give it a try once :)

@Sander Have you guys had any involvement with 3devo ?

They are in your neck of the woods and are using UM2's in their advertisements.

You have to tag me with my full name, or else I don't get a notification about it..

Anyway, as far as I know we are not related.

I want to say this as gently as possible...that video needs subtitles. I can't follow his english very well.

On youtube you should have the option to enable subtitles, right next to the settings button on the bottom right.

On youtube you should have the option to enable subtitles, right next to the settings button on the bottom right.

Didn't know where that was....thank you! Is there a way to make it play, by default with them?

Didn't know where that was....thank you!   Is there a way to make it play, by default with them?

Mine played with them without selecting it, so maybe in your account settings.

@Sander Have you guys had any involvement with 3devo ?

They are in your neck of the woods and are using UM2's in their advertisements.

You have to tag me with my full name, or else I don't get a notification about it..

Anyway, as far as I know we are not related.

Noted - Haha just realized i was tagging some other random person :)

I have always been interested in making my own filament. I want to try some of the plastics we have at work and PET bottles.

The 3devo looked like the best package but far 2 expensive. you at least need to make 50 rolls to get your money back. that's not including you time to learn another new system.

It would be good to see more good recycled filaments being sold.

It would be good to see more good recycled filaments being sold.

definitely!

I know Jonas personally and have been in touch with them from the beginning. This story is about their vision, and why they started perpetual plastic project.

Like I said, I love the idea, and I see that it's PET and ABS only at the moment. So what's the logic behind the choice of images in the article you linked to above? There is a photo of several spools of plastic with a large sign above reading "PLA" the caption below the photo says "Perpetual Plastic's recycled filament".

• Like 1

Like I said, I love the idea, and I see that it's PET and ABS only at the moment. So what's the logic behind the choice of images in the article you linked to above? There is a photo of several spools of plastic with a large sign above reading "PLA" the caption below the photo says "Perpetual Plastic's recycled filament".

Well @Peetersm, you strike a very good point!

I actually didn't notice the PLA sign, it is a still from the movie. It must be filament they use to test with, make comparisons. Thanks for noting it, we'll replace it for a more appropriate image.

@sanderVG what a great project.

Can you buy PPP filament?

@sanderVG what a great project.

Can you buy PPP filament?

You sure can!

If you read this story you'll find a link to their store! It's called ReFil, they have 100% recycled ABS and 90% PET.