African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

kelechi

Posted · African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

@DidierKlein, I cannot download it. I do not know how to download software from Github. I do not even know which one to download. I am a bit on my wits end. More than 25 hours without sleep. Can you assist me on how to go about the download. Thanks.

• Replies 88
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kelechi, in the case of the failure in the middle of a big print, I modified the original model by cutting off the part that was printed successfully, so my new STL only contained the missing stuff. Then, after all the parts were printed, the Superglue was used to finish the job. Just make sure the glued surfaces have some good contact. In my case these were thin (0.8mm) walls, so I used reinforcement plates on the back.

• Like 1

hope your presentation went well, any feedback would be interesting

good luck with your work

S

• Like 1

Oh yes to the family. The presentation was awesome. 150 people in attendance mostly architects and designers. Lots of questions from the audience, my business cards finished...loool. I will uplaod pictures once the event organizers send the pictures across. People could not believe that 3D printing was that possible even here in West Africa.

I also learnt some lessons too, people love multicolour designs. I will really work hard on being very good in multi color 3D printing. I played a video of ultimaker but seems people wanted to SEE the machine in real life. I will look at how to have a mobile work unit to go to exhibitions with. I also discovered that people here know a bit about 3D printing but think its off limit to them.

I am really excited and I must say thanks to this community. I am now being referred as the 3D printing guy..loool. Not so bad for an electric power engineer, i guess. The model I showcased was lucid enough despite the fact that I couldnt finish it due to the problems I earlier stated.

I will get a 2200KVA UPS to ensure such will not happen again. Once again, you guys are the best! It was worth staying awake so long!

Stayed tuned for more updates from West Africa. One love. Lets keep creating!

• Like 4

Hi @Kelechi, happy to hear the presentation went well!

150 people is quite a nice crowd.

What samples did you display?

It doesn't matter if you are an electric power engineer, I don't think anybody in this forum is 'trained' as an 3D printing expert. We all became one because we were interested and motivated.

Well, if you are looking for an entry model (if people think it is off limit you may proof them wrong?) and if you need it for transport you could look into the Ultimaker 2 Go?

It comes with a special travel container too.

• Like 1

@SandervG, my sample pictures are not that clear, poor lighthing and not so great phone camera. I will get a photographer to take some shots so I will upload. A skyscraper model and a miniature soldier model all from thinginverse. I will check out the ultimaker Go as you recommended. Thanks and cheers.

We even had / have UM originals that were hacked so you could wear them on your back while they were printing. It wasn't very comfortable, but it shouldn't be to hard to make something that is comfortable to wear (We didn't use padding at all...)

5a33127c02589_Buildingmodel.thumb.jpg.3addbe11e55baf8cee1b02b51e885033.jpg

5a33127c02589_Buildingmodel.thumb.jpg.3addbe11e55baf8cee1b02b51e885033.jpg

5a33127d3e0eb_soldiermodel.thumb.jpg.c64a76eeff1ff410a6f995a54f4dcaab.jpg

5a33127d3e0eb_soldiermodel.thumb.jpg.c64a76eeff1ff410a6f995a54f4dcaab.jpg

These are the two models I showcased. The first was supposed to take 42 hours but stopped after 26 hours. the Last did not take so much time. The good thing about the first that the architects were able to see the internal lattice structure and how detailed the printing can be. This helped in the explanation.

It is hard to tell, but it looks like the bottom of the first print has some holes?

You may want to increase top layer thickness in Cura.

@SandervG, yes the first print had holes and even a misalignment. I noticed this after I restarted the job when the power went off. I will look at top layer thickness as you suggested.

About the ultimaker Go, what is the possibility of getting one for exhibition from ultimaker. I think it wiĺl serve a great deal as my audience will be able to experience the machine live during events.

Hello all, I am back. Recently my ultimaker 2 has been very busy as people get to know about 3D printing over here.

I have had several issues. First was no filament extrusion, I opened up the extruder and cleaned it out. Now, I am having shifted layers during printing. I have tried everything suggested in the visual trouble shooting guide, without success.

I will appreciate all the help I can get.

You'll get the best answers when you post a picture of the issue and the settings you use.

Shifted layers = XY axes not clean enough.

Put a tiny bit of machine oil (not WD40!!!) on the axes, cleaning them as you do. You should feel that the printhead moves much more easily and smoothly after that.

Or there is a problem with the belts. But that is harder to guess. :-)

@ultiarjan....the shift occurred very close to base so a picture will not show it clear enough.

@shurik, I have done that yet, after the first 3 or 4 layers( i'm printing with 0.1mm) the shift still happens.

What could be wrong?

Are you sure you tightened ALL the screws on the pulleys nice an tight?

Regarding the pullys don't forget to check and tighten them on the xy motor axis.