Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kelechi

African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

Hi @Kelechi,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the community!

Sounds very exciting.

Are you registered to 3D Hubs or are you setting up a service yourself?

What kind of things are you producing?

I don't know exactly where you are located in Africa, but Trobok is (also) from South Africa. A very talented designer who makes cool stuff.

Oh thanks @SandervG,

We are setting up a service all by ourselves. We produce all designs in PLA and ABS. We are modelling after shapeways and thanks for the information about Trobok, we are currently looking for terrific talents. We even planing shows and events to get people aware of 3D printing here and encourage them to develop 3D design skills.

We are currently based in Enugu state in the East of Nigeria.

The ultimaker 2 currently gives me all the details I want. Before I bought one I also did a check with toptenreviews and ultimaker was top so I can suggest you get an ultimaker. Are you in Africa? The challenge having an ultimaker in Africa is there is no support here and Europe is far to always get parts from. You will need to be very maintenace savvy. The excitement on 3D printing is getting on as I observed from my online and offline marketing shows however no 3D printer company is focusing here. From my observation so far, the market will be for middle range 3D printers and cost and shipping will have to be worked on. For now, we are offering to print designs for people using our ultimaker. When I can get another ultimaker2 to use for demonstrations, I will then start doing demonstrations in schools and offices.

There are a few easy ways:

- print separate parts and glue them.

- design so the different colors are only full layers, so in between printing pauze the print, change filament, and restart. For controlled pauze use the "pauze at Z" plugin for cura (till 15.4) It's easier if you use a feeder you can open for manual pull/push of the filament, like |roberts| feeder or one of many others.

- paint the model

Or you go the complicated route, but it's not a stable solution, more an experiment:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer

• Like 2

Separate parts are the way to go for best quality. You should design in a peg/slot and just glue that part and it'll hold well.

Super glue works great for PLA But it has to have enough surface area to stick well. I find it takes slightly longer to bond PLA than some other plastics. Also, some super glues come in a gel form which is a lot more forgiving than regular superglue.

• Like 1

Yes it works really well. I have a pretty big PLA print on my desk, and it had a few broken parts (courtesy of DHL). Superglue fixed it within a few seconds. I did sand the surface down before I glued it, but that was mainly because the surfaces weren't flat (some previously glued joints broke and there was residue).

Where do you buy the filament and parts so far?

Do they offer alternative shipping methods?

@sandervG, @ultiarjan and every other expert on this forum. Please let us all come over here.

So I have secured a presentation and event with a group of 100 architects in Nigeria. It will hold tomorrow thursday.

I will be demonstrating 3D printing. Now, I have been awake for the past 15 hours printing a model.

We do not have constant power here in Nigeria and for some reason which I do not know my printer will stop despite my UPS being on. The printer will be on but the print job will just stop.

After 5 hours of printing, I just could not start afresh. I had to do a little research and came across how to delete the gcode till I get to the height at which the print stopped. But this is clumsy. It is guess work and time crushing.

Is there no way ultimaker can resume at exactly where it stopped before? or how can I get the exact height of the extruder before it stops.

I am really on my wits end.

I am made a lot of news about 3D printing in Nigeria and here I am with this problem.

To answer your question, currently there is no way you can restart your print at the point where it failed.

Like you already discovered, you can find the part of the g-code, but it is a bit finicky.

When it kicks instantly, is that also the same time when the Ultimaker stops?

I am inclined to think if there is even a short power cut it will stop.

What do you think @UltiArjan? @gr5?

For print recovery you can use the modified Firmware by @tinkergnome

You can download it here

I've never had to use it but it can help and has worked for others.

I have a UPS on my Ultimakers and it will work on small power shutdowns i'm not sure how much time it can last with no power at all. My guess would be around 15 minutes but i don't know the power it has.

You can use a pin on the UM2 board to automatically put the printer in pauze (see below link)... if this happens a lot you may need to start printing without heated bed, as otherwise the part will come loos anyhow. Also when printing without the heated bed you'll get a lot more time out of your UPS...

Don't think this pauze is the final solution for you, but maybe it can be a possibility to add something like a low power mode after it to get more time out of your UPS....

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/7436-more-information-during-print?page=10#reply-120271