Printing a Sphere

ccliffy

Posted · Printing a Sphere

Hi all - kinda of a newbie question but...

What's the best way to print a sphere or model where bottom part s a sphere. Since a shpere only touches ground theoretically at one point - it can cuase issues sticking to build plate

Up to know I just model a support system for it but am wondering if there is a better way? eg use Cura's option to add on a brim or raft?

any suggestions appreciate!

I printed a 50mm sphere that came out fairly good. I think I just used support from Cura or KISSlicer. I know I didn't create any support from the Cad program. I would try it without brim or raft. Good luck and post a picture of your end result if you like.

Posted (edited) · Printing a Sphere

Lol, this was one of the first things i tried. The answer is the low points of the sphere nearest the bottom will always look lame. Period. If you want things perfect you need to understand the limitations, then it is smooth sailing. You need to problem solve a lot and decide how to slice things into multiple parts in order to print them best. The higher res you go the worse overhangs are as well. Good to keep that in mind but yo can use different programs to get specific supports for your needs. If your new to this its a constant learning game, and even a year on im finding better and quicker ways to do stuff and better glues for the glass and better tecniques at cleaning and so forth. Be ready to learn thats all. Then you can print cool stuff, and almost anything.

Edited by Guest

I check the Z height of the sphere in Cura and "Cut-off Bottom" in Advanced settings to sink half the sphere into the bed, then rotate 180 degrees to print the other half (unless the sphere is identical on both hemispheres). Sometimes I cut off an extra 0.1mm or so to account for the glue.

I also strategically cut off the bottom of parts that don't have a planar bottom surface or that were modeled with a slight rotation. Off the top of my head, Raptor and Baryonyx claws were the last objects I split and glued. I much prefer that method to supports or raft.

Yep i agree best bet is to cut in half and glue after.

The overhang is to steep for the first part of the sphere it will be ugly no matter what you try

thanks for the replies. It referred to printing a BB8 so changing orientation doesn't help

Printing BB8 as well :D