Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
avogra

Hi there :)

After many months of lurking and reading I now have a brand new UM2 along with some rolls of Colorfabb filament. I'm still in this early stage of excitement when you get a new toy ;-) Up to now I printed most models which were shipped with the sdcard, a 3dscan of a gardenturtle and more useless stuff, mainly to impress myself and others :-p First own design was a simple bracket to mount a cheap multiple-socket-outlet under my desk with screws. Worked out well.

One impression is, that the cooling might be better, as many have discovered before me. The next step will be an adaption of the crossflow approach by @foehnsturm. I hope to find a way to mount this inside the UM2 without having to cut the sides. Instead of the crossflow fan I want to use a PC-slot radial fan which should fit between build plate and the right side. I will write in the crossflow thread as soon as I have some results.

My main motivation to buy the UM2 was realizing technical designs, which I couldn't build up to now. Top project will be a spectral photometer to analyze the composition of different light sources. I have everything ready except for the fixture of the optical elements and the mechanics to scan through the wavelengths / colors.

I see that it takes quite some time to get used to this business, no matter how much you read beforehand. Ideas like building the magnetic toolchanger are far out of reach now that the box sits on my desk. And I will give myself some time before I start the spectrometer. Anyway I'm looking forward to it !

IMG_20151004_231222.thumb.jpg.9ecadb0c7efde5ce7e98eb8310d9419e.jpg

IMG_20151004_231222.thumb.jpg.9ecadb0c7efde5ce7e98eb8310d9419e.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome to the Forum.

It is fun indeed. Its great to see you joining the Ultimaker community and sharing some upcoming ideas and will be good to see some of your future projects.