1 mm nozzle / shell thickness

Posted · 1 mm nozzle / shell thickness

I have changed my nozzle with a 1 mm one so I changed settings in Cura.

My problem is that, when I set the shell thickness to 1 mm it makes lines with spaces.

You can see in the screenshot what I mean. First layer has a shell thickness of 0.5 mm and the second one has 1 mm.

What can I do? Do i need to set the shell thickness smaller than the nozzle?

11mf9cn.jpg

Not sure I understand your question, but first, what version on Cura do you use ?

In the latest stable version (15.04) you set nozzle size on the advance tab, set this to 1.

Obviously the the print lines will be further apart from each other when you set 1mm iso 0.4 mm. This is normal as the lines you print are wider.

I think you have your words mixed up. It is not possible to set different shell thicknesses for different parts of the model. Also shell thickness has nothing to do with infill. You need to set your nozzle size to 1.0 and make your shell thickness the same or a multiple of the nozzle measurement. If you are looking for solid infill at the bottom then you need to check your initial layer thickness and layer heights and check they can add up to the thickness you have set for bottom thickness. After that if you have not set 100% infill you will get lines.

I think you have your words mixed up. It is not possible to set different shell thicknesses for different parts of the model. Also shell thickness has nothing to do with infill. You need to set your nozzle size to 1.0 and make your shell thickness the same or a multiple of the nozzle measurement. If you are looking for solid infill at the bottom then you need to check your initial layer thickness and layer heights and check they can add up to the thickness you have set for bottom thickness. After that if you have not set 100% infill you will get lines.

1) It is possible to set different shell thickness for layers. Initial layer and the other layers. So that's what you see in the picture. 1mm and 50% for initial layer.

2) I have set infill 100% and still it makes lines with spaces until I set the shell thickness lower than 0.5. That's weird but it happens :)

Not sure I understand your question, but first, what version on Cura do you use ?

In the latest stable version (15.04) you set nozzle size on the advance tab, set this to 1.

Obviously the the print lines will be further apart from each other when you set 1mm iso 0.4 mm. This is normal as the lines you print are wider.

It is 15.04... but the lines are not wider they are about 0.55 mm and not touching the next line. There are spaces between lines as you can see in the picture. I can fix it with lowering shell thickness to 0.4 but that doesn't make sense.

as stated above You should change the nozzle size to 1mm in cura under expert settings. Shell thickness is how thick the outer walls will be and should be a multiple of you nozzle size.

That's why you will have a cap as 0.4 x 2 = 0.8 and it will give a gap to make it 1mm if your nozzle is still set to 0.4 in cura.

If you still have gaps please provide us with layer height, speed and temperature you use. You may be trying to extrude too much.

Posted (edited) · 1 mm nozzle / shell thickness

You can see all the settings, what it prints theoretically and what it really pritns.

FULL SIZE IMAGE:

http://postimg.org/image/7xadnvw2f/full/

Ultimaker_Forum.jpg

Edited by Guest

Is that a raft that you are printing - looks like that states line spacing at 3?

what is it like further up the model?

No I am not using anything for adhesion. I was just trying to check my new nozzle, the model is not important right now. Lets say thats a rectangular prism, 0.3 x 25 x 25 (mm)

It may be unrelated, but why do you have Infill Overlap set to 50% in the expert settings? That can make for some interesting overextrusion artifacts.

It may be unrelated, but why do you have Infill Overlap set to 50% in the expert settings? That can make for some interesting overextrusion artifacts.

Actually that's related. Since it was making gaps the edges were not sticking. That's why I made it 50%. I made this only for this nozzle. But if I make the shell thickness lower than 0.4 that will not be necessary

1) It is possible to set different shell thickness for layers. Initial layer and the other layers. So that's what you see in the picture. 1mm and 50% for initial layer.

Sorry, I have never ever used that and had forgotten that it existed

Posted (edited) · 1 mm nozzle / shell thickness

You can see all the settings, what it prints theoretically and what it really pritns.

FULL SIZE IMAGE:

Ultimaker_Forum.jpg

At which temperature are you printing? There is a large variety in the exact power of the heater. You might suffer from a weak one.

Edited by Guest

FULL SIZE IMAGE:

Ultimaker_Forum.jpg

At which temperature are you printing? There is a large variety in the exact power of the heater. You might suffer from a weak one.

Usually at 210 sometimes 200 and if I print something faster 220. But I think it is not about temp. I think Cura doesn't make any changes for nozzles bigger than 0.4. That must be something about software. I can see the lines with simplify3d before printing

FULL SIZE IMAGE:

Ultimaker_Forum.jpg

Usually at 210 sometimes 200 and if I print something faster 220. But I think it is not about temp. I think Cura doesn't make any changes for nozzles bigger than 0.4. That must be something about software. I can see the lines with simplify3d before printing

I print with a 0.8 nozzle all the time and the software adjusts and works fine.

I think you may need to up your temp a bit. thats a lot of plastic to squirt out at that speed and 210 probably wont be enough.

I think you may need to up your temp a bit. thats a lot of plastic to squirt out at that speed and 210 probably wont be enough.

I will try but it shows what it will print in simplify3d. And it shows gaps until I set shell thickness to 0.4mm . And also prints with gaps if I don't change shell thickness

I think Cura doesn't make any changes for nozzles bigger than 0.4.

Did it ever occur to you the S3D viewer may be incorrect? I suggest you first start to do some actual prints ...

I think Cura doesn't make any changes for nozzles bigger than 0.4.

Did it ever occur to you the S3D viewer may be incorrect? I suggest you first start to do some actual prints ...

I printed and put the photo you can see it in one of my previous posts... It was the same with S3D

That is my experience too, using 14.7

That is my experience too, using 14.7

I will try 14.7...

Just wondering sorry... If you have simplify3d why you need to use Cura (specially an old version)?

Just wondering sorry... If you have simplify3d why you need to use Cura (specially an old version)?

:) Dont have an exact answer but Cura is easier to make changes... S3D is much more detailed and if you make so much changes it gives error sometimes. And another point is I couldnt understand why but it miscalculates number of layers... Probably I making a mistake about layers...

But "Preview Mode" is excellent.

Actually, it is fixed with the latest beta (15.09.90). I changed nozzle size to 1mm and also shell thickness to 1 mm and it prints without gaps.