Has anyone tried this?

qmaker

Posted (edited) · Has anyone tried this?

This creative tools thing looks horrific to me, i wouldnt dream of attaching anything to the filament. That is just insane. It will most definitely cause underextrusion and more of that clicking sound if you ever get it. My advice to you is to buy an air duster spray can and simply spray it in the bowden tube before you insert the filament in it, then wipe clean the part of the filament that goes into the bowden tube, and simple air dust the rest. And its true, ANYTHING that you add to treat or slow the filament spool even if only slightly during print will always be worse even if ever so slightly than printing without it. Why buy a good printer if you dont want the best out of it?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Has anyone tried this?

Well feel free, but apart from bearings on the spool, i cant imagine any other attachments other than a different feeder that would in any shape or form actually improve the flow of filament. Attaching anything to the filament itself is not a good idea, just incase. It sounds crazy, but what if a fly flies in there and jams itself inside or a bit of dust falls in thats just big enough to jam it or any other weird random possibility, why wouldyou even consider it? Im sure it works perfectly fine with a perfectly functioning printer, but if you have a slight issue, it will only make it worse. It may do its job, but totally unnecessary.

Those air dust spray cans are full of crap and wouldn't recommend using them.

Posted (edited) · Has anyone tried this?

full of crap, really? i thought it was just full of air and solvents. No particles ever come out and thats all i care about. I guess each to his own. But i have zero issues printing now, even under immense pressure, and can practically guarantee perfect prints every time. I was just making a point that if you need to attach something to clean your filament on the fly you must have bigger issues, you should really just make sure its clean first and save any hassles later on by risking a failed print. I stand by my air dust cans, i really dont know what 'crap' you are on about, there is just air in a can.

Edited by Guest

Not sure about that one; we use the air on our remote controlled touring cars and the idea is to get the dry crap off the mechanicals not on to them!

I used a filter/oiler like that on my old Replicator 1 and it made a huge difference. I used a drop or two of olive oil to help lubricate the filament and keep it from jamming inside the hot end.

With that said I would NOT recommend using it on the Ultimakers. My oiler was placed right on top of the hot end and the oiled filament didn't have far to travel. With the bowden tube style printers it would likely do more harm than good. It might help keep some dust out of the hot end on the Ultimaker but your probably better off just using the atomic method to clean out the nozzle every once in a while.