Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
hintonlibrary

Text through Cura?

Hi Alpha,

If you are looking to create bookmarks with text you could do that using a simple image. I dont know if the newer versions of Cura still support that.

If you are looking to add text to an existing 3D object (stl) you'll need to import that model is 3D softwares and add the text were you want it, re export the model in STL and open it in Cura. I think you can do that with TinkerCAD. With this method you can also create bookmarks as a 3D object.

It's very easy to create 3D text in Sketchup, but modeling in sketchup for 3d printing is not the best idea, as you would need to repair the STL's produced.

I usually use "design spark mechanical" (free CAD software) to model, and add tekst I take from sketchup.

You can f.e. just save a file from sketchup with the whole alphabet in the font you like, and import it in DSM to use. Be sure to export from sketchup as version 8, as DSM will not open newer versions.

Sounds to me like the easiest solution for you would be to do as pm_dude intitially suggested... That is;

- Make your bookmark as a 2D image in eg. photoshop (or even paint)

- Import the image into Cura

- Fiddle a bit around with the import settings (base height, what color is heigh, what is low, etc.)

- Print

Remember to make your text big enough, and don't use a font with lots of detail in it...