Extrusion Problem UM2

craftee

Posted · Extrusion Problem UM2

Ive been having extrusion problems for months now. Initially I thought it was it was because of low quality filament. just recently I bought and used Colorfabb pla/pha and Im still getting extrusion issues. Honestly i think its because of the weak stepper motor. Thought you guys could help me out before I go to support.

And just to give you an idea of how slow i need to print,

Im printing PLA at 240 Celsius and 30 mm/s and even then i still get extrusion issues.

on top of that the pla gets stuck after every print, so i remove the bowden and pull the pla out with quite a force. this issue has been persistent since i purchased my UM2.

PLEASE HELP!

ive probably used the atomic method, over a 200 times. Ive practically looked into every extrusion problem, still cant solve mine.

I earnestly doubt that the motor is too weak...

Let's make another educated guess: do you have checked (or replaced) the PTFE coupler already?

...and...

The bowden is clean and smooth?

Have you tried a dust filter for the filament?

Sometimes this is the PTFE coupler which has a "brime" on its hot end extremity, reducing the diameter for the filament to run smoothly.

If the problem is since the beginning it can not be probable. But, maybe you can try to screw the steel coupler to te maximum and then unscrew it by a 1/2 turn. This will perfectly position the PTFE coupler into the steel coupler, reducing the gap where material can stick in and be stuck.

ill try replacing the ptfe coupler first. is this covered under warranty?

nope, the PTFE is a consumable which needs to be replaced each XXX print hours. XXX hours because this depends on the materials you are printing etc. :)

Posted (edited) · Extrusion Problem UM2

Thanks for the plethora of replies <3

The PTFE coupler came in the mail today, so i replaced it and its able to push material better. But every time the stepper motor knocks, i get less material coming out causing spots of under extrusion...

3fa25ab8675ba2060ff16e0cdfe4c522.png

Edited by Guest

what are your print settings?

230c

30mm/s

.4 nozzle

.2 layer height

Well, you need to employ a process of elimination here. If you remove the bowden tube from the head, and feed filament through by hand at 220C, can you get a nice clean extrusion without too much pressure? If you can, it's reasonable to assume that you nozzle is clear.

If that's the case, then the next issue will be the bowden tube itself. Using the menu option to feed filament using the menu wheel, are you able to feed filament through at 220C at a reasonable rate without kickback? You could make a video of that and then we can help you judge if that is a reasonable rate, and take things from there.

did you ever try turning the hex screw on the feeder ?

the screw that moves up/down the white block on the side of the feeder.

it says it should be up as far as possible/useable by turning clockwise,

which does lower the pressure of the wheel that actualy pushes the filament..

230c

30mm/s

.4 nozzle

.2 layer height

Give it a try with the above settings and 210°C instead of 230°C... Could you try this?

Posted (edited) · Extrusion Problem UM2

@magneto Yea i tried both extremes and everything else in the middle. still extrusion issues.

@frederiekpascal yes i have tried lowering the the temp down to 190 and as high as 240. at 190 nothing comes out and anything above 250 the pla starts burning and smoking. (i litterally saw smoke coming out of the nozzle)

Edited by Guest

@craftee, would it be possible to make a short video of extruding manually? This might eliminate a problem, or highlight one.

@danilius by manually do you mean push through with my hand or "move material" option.

"move material" option.

Had the same problem one; changed the teflon coupler, changed the nozzle, changed the temp. sensor, nothing would help.

I then dissasembled the feeder. The bowden tube inside the feeder was pretty demolished. I cut off 10mm and made sure the transition form the feeder box into the bowden was smooth.

No problems after that.

Cheers