Best settings to print this with?

tasopoulos

Posted (edited) · Best settings to print this with?

Could you please give me some input on the best settings to use for printing this?http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:561661

I had printed a similar pattern (Voronoi) for a bracelet, but I was a bit disappointed by the result (excessive stringing and some blobs):

20151114_163812000_iOS.thumb.jpg.b7c16be04521f6b161465e88d7c08127.jpg

So I would love your guys' input on this headphones stand before I begin. Thanks in advance.

20151114_163812000_iOS.thumb.jpg.b7c16be04521f6b161465e88d7c08127.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Best settings to print this with?

Thanks @tommyph1208, I figured as much about speed and temperature (I was thinking of printing at around 190-200C and 30mm/s with Colorfabb PLA), but I think retraction is always the thorn in my side. Any recommendations about retraction settings (both in Cura and on the UM2)?

I don't have an UM2, so its a bit hard to say and I think a lot of things factor in to the final result...

I think 4 mm. @ 40 mm/s is a safe default, and you can work your way from there...

What you could then do, is to print some test prints with different settings and see what you like best...:

- Get a model like this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1028352

- Use the "Tweak at z" plugin, to modify temperatures at the different heights and slice it with eg. the 4 mm. @ 40 mm./s retraction setting... Do a test print.

- Now tweak the retraction settings somewhat heavily (like 6 mm. @ 60 mm./s), slice and print again...

- Try the same to the other side (2 mm. @ 20 mm./s)...

With those 3 prints I think you should have a very good idea about what temp and retraction works best for your machine, brand of filament, climate etc. etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Best settings to print this with?

It turned out much better than I expected retraction-wise, but for some reason I got a bit of underextrusion on the first half of the print (somehow it corrected itself on the way up, without me changing anything):

P1010725-1.thumb.jpg.b4c80f4bbceea957fb7fcbe6d9da28b4.jpg

P1010725-1.thumb.jpg.b4c80f4bbceea957fb7fcbe6d9da28b4.jpg

Edited by Guest

I do not see layer depth mentioned; personally I would use .1mm, but that is a matter of taste, and print speed of 20mm/s. Fans full on and print bed temp. as low as you can - certainly reduce it below 60 after layer 1. I suspect your "under extrusion" could be coming from the print bed heat, that is a guess. As already said, extruder as cool as possible; certainly with settings above I would not exceed 200 but it depends on your printer and the make/colour of the PLA.

Layer height was 0.2mm, so I believe it was the speed thing (needed this a bit urgently, so I used something like 30-40mm/s, do not remember exactly). Guess that's way too fast, especially for 0.2mm layers.

Well as a general statement, no 30-40 mm/s is not too fast for .200 layer. Running as cool as possible will help you with the stringing on your bracelet. If I were printing something intricate like your bracelet then I would drop down to 20mm/s in search of a good quality finish, but I tend not to print those type of models so I have not done any testing on that subject. I do suspect that dropping to 20mm/s, irrespective of layer resolution, will improve your result - if you have the time :)

Hi,

New here, but I am wondering do the Voronoi bracelets need support? 

If they need support, what type?  JUst trying to learn about this bracelet design.

Thanks,

Wynsome

Usually not.  The one printed above had no support.

Thank you