New Ultimaker research on 3D printing viscous materials

TimvdVaart

Posted (edited) · New Ultimaker research on 3D printing viscous materials

Hi All,

We need your opinion in our research on 3D printing viscous materials!

I'm an intern at Ultimaker, and I'm analysing the possibility of 3D printing these pastes. Examples of materials are silicone, conductive material, glaze, clay / ceramic, Nutella and peanut butter. These are examples of many possible types!

Please take a moment to think about viscous materials that are of interest to you. What would you like to make? What will make you enthusiastic? Do you like to print with edible products, or are you more interested in printing conductive paste? It is also possible that there is no need for a 3D printer that can extrude viscous materials.

All information is welcome, and there are no wrong answers.

Click on the following link to help Ultimaker and me with starting a new challenging project for a product that meets your needs:

Edited by SandervG
  • Like 1

Posted · New Ultimaker research on 3D printing viscous materials

Thanks guys!

There is already a lot of testing going on with Cura and sometimes other stuff as well.

What kind of testing would you like to do? (Send me a DM so we won't derail this topic. Thanks!)

Filled it. Guess what arrived today ;)

P1070092.thumb.JPG.4c3d6cc00c71ea6f61f6d41c5b892db5.JPG

What is it exactly ?

That is not very nice ! :p

2-component silicones: Liquid silicones, thickener and silicone putty

Filled it. Guess what arrived today ;)

You got me curious! Are you going to mount a syringe?

Done

You got me curious! Are you going to mount a syringe?

Well, that would be nice. However, the setting time for that stuff is still in the range of some minutes to one hour. Too slow for direct printing. If you heat it up like in liquid silicone injection molding it would set within seconds.

Posted (edited) · New Ultimaker research on 3D printing viscous materials

Thanks guys! Your opinion is very important to us. Cool to see that so much people are interested.

Edited by SandervG

Was talking about these issues with a venture capitalist yesterday. The ability to print with chocolate would be extremely interesting. I've seen a chocolate printer which can only really handle two dimensional printing. To be able to print lattice-style structures in chocolate would interest our local hotel and tourist sectors

It may be a long read but there are some topics about 3D printing chocolate with an Ultimaker.

These tests were done with Nutella so not the most rigid material, but you can also use other types of chocolate which are way better suited for 3D printing.

Thanks guys! Your opinion is very important to us. Cool to see that so much people are interested.

So um this Nutella has me interested.....

So um this Nutella has me interested.....

..and hungry :p