How to prevent the filament bound?

swq0603

Posted · How to prevent the filament bound?

Sometimes the surface of my model is just like the under extrusion, but the speed and the temperature is fine.I found the root cause is that filament is bound in the spool,so the material cannot be sent to the hot end.Is there someone know how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot.

Is it tangles or just tightly wound.

Its always good to not let the filament loose especailly when stored, you can print some like This to hold it in place so it wont get tangled.

If they are just tightly wound then a low friction spool holder can help and a stronger feeder like the new + models or bondtech :)

I strongly advice against using these printed clips, as they make it more likely to get tangled filament IMHO. The only way to avoid this is to grab the filament after removing from the printer and immediately fixing it to the spool edge.

I use these clips for it.

clip.png.fe51022c2276f9362661ebaba5c966e2.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to prevent the filament bound?

Err, I push the filament through one of the holes in the spool "lid" - that is what they are there for, yes?

Yes :)

but using the clips will prevent the filament end from bending....

Edited by Guest

AH ok. I suspect it is cheaper though to cut off a few mm of filament; 50mm would be about 1 - 2 cents, if that is what a penny is in euros :)

You might waste a tiny bit of filament here and there but in my opinion printing off the roll is the only way to guarantee zero tangles ever. I have not had a tangle since printing like this, and i do long prints, sometimes 50hrs plus.

20150425_140758.thumb.jpg.2f7d7517bd0c9ce09ce1a7f4ec49e101.jpg

To avoid waste cut off as much as you can fit on and make sure it is perfectly laid out just like a spring without any overlapping and your prints will look the best they can. This is the only way i print. I gave up printing on the roll for the same reasons you are complaining about. There is no other solution that guarantees zero tangles, only this.

Yup I agree with @cloakfiend, that is on of the reasons why I changed to Faberdashery a long time ago.

Posted (edited) · How to prevent the filament bound?

Yes, it is really important to grab the filament after removing the printer. Thank you ultiarjan.

But I am just a little confused why it is more likely to get tangled, since some guys use it and give a good result.

I strongly advice against using these printed clips, as they make it more likely to get tangled filament IMHO. The only way to avoid this is to grab the filament after removing from the printer and immediately fixing it to the spool edge.

Edited by Guest

Thank you cloakfiend for the good suggestion. I think it is good when I am going to print a large model. But for the small model, it is a little inconvenient since each time I have to insert the filament before printing. :) 1 question, you use the length given by Cura to cut the filament before printing, right?

You might waste a tiny bit of filament here and there but in my opinion printing off the roll is the only way to guarantee zero tangles ever. I have not had a tangle since printing like this, and i do long prints, sometimes 50hrs plus.

To avoid waste cut off as much as you can fit on and make sure it is perfectly laid out just like a spring without any overlapping and your prints will look the best they can. This is the only way i print. I gave up printing on the roll for the same reasons you are complaining about. There is no other solution that guarantees zero tangles, only this.

Yes, it is really important to grab the filament after removing the printer. Thank you ultiarjan.

But I am just a little confused why it is more likely to get tangled, since some guys use it and give a good result.

Some filament are more "springy" and sort off partially unwind on the spool. If you fix the end of the spool to another winding of the plastic it's easier for it to pas underneath another loop then when you fix it to the side of the spool.

No, i never bother measuring the amount, i just make sure there is more than i need, that way i can print loads of small things without replacing it, or a few big ones. The only difference is i dont suffer from any extra tension that is created from the spool and any tangles as springs are physically imposible to tangle unless they are tangled to begin with. Its just a safer way ro print but is limited by the amount of filament you can attach. I would not recommend for example attaching 2kg of unwound filament as it could get tangled, i personally wouldnt recoommend more than 15 - 20 metres personally without some sort of guide, but having a guide defeats the whole point of the loose filament in the first place. With th new feeder it may be an option however, but i dont have the new feeder so its not an option for me.

I have my UM2 on a board above the desk, kind of a deep short shelve which is mounted to the wall. The reel is standing below on the desk on a simple stand with ballbearings. Not a single issue with tangled filament up to now 8) At the same time the printer is protected from vibrations of the desk like when you bang your head on it, bite into the edge or hammer the keys of your pc ;)

By all means do what works for you, im just saying what i think is best for me. I have had some spools tangled at purchase which meant even if you had the best ball bearings in the world, you would still get a tangle, its just bad luck, and i choose not to have it. I have my ultimaker on the floor in the corner of my kitchen so that is not an option for me until i tidy up my garage anyway.

Got it. I think now it can fix this issue for me. Thank you cloakfiend for the long explanation. Now I can try a large model in this way.;)

By all means do what works for you, im just saying what i think is best for me. I have had some spools tangled at purchase which meant even if you had the best ball bearings in the world, you would still get a tangle, its just bad luck, and i choose not to have it. I have my ultimaker on the floor in the corner of my kitchen so that is not an option for me until i tidy up my garage anyway.

Yes, I tried this way before, and it is a good way. But it take me some extra space, so I occasionally print in this way now:)

I have my UM2 on a board above the desk, kind of a deep short shelve which is mounted to the wall. The reel is standing below on the desk on a simple stand with ballbearings. Not a single issue with tangled filament up to now 8) At the same time the printer is protected from vibrations of the desk like when you bang your head on it, bite into the edge or hammer the keys of your pc ;)

I had a tight reel problem yesterday. I just put a small amount of olive oil on the post, and it works fine now! :) I also loosen the filament on the reel before I start printing, just to be sure. No problems so far.