How to colouring the model printed with PLA?

swq0603

Posted · How to colouring the model printed with PLA?

Since each time the printed model is sigle color. Is somebody try to coloring the PLA printed model? I think it really can make the model looks better:)

To add to the answer, if wanted you can dye the filament. One method used to be to take neutral filament and dip sections of it into different coloured dyes, giving you multi-coloured prints from a single filament. I bought some of the dyes ages ago but have never tried it.

the dye only works with nylon (Dylon, never tried it with pla though, but don't think it works) and of course it works better with 1.75 filament, because the color can get better into the surface and the inner material. With 2.85 the core will always stay uncolored.

Or do you mean some other dye?

• Like 1

I means painting. I think the model which is painted with different color can provide a better effect:)

You mean painting? or coloring the filament itself?

Sorry @peggyb you are absolutely right! Just shows how long it has been sitting in my cupboard untouched!

with the stuff I do it's completely necessary actually.

i just use some primer and sanding to smooth it out and then use model paints if it's small and your average spray paint if it's big.

12924543_205148903199460_2956879851417280697_n.jpg?oh=56a15002dec3a11075f6972c156dbb74&oe=57725C4E

12806259_177934195920931_3838092645281025784_n.jpg?oh=9cb0521eb20f57bdbafb4163f8b904e0&oe=57AC4522

like that ;)

Hey there,

I wanted to give one of my prints (well two actually) a more finished look by painting them to look more like the real deal. (2 cats from my friend) Since the print had some holes in the top I had to be a little bit creative.

We had a little bit of Chloroform lying around here so by dissolving some colored pieces of PLA in that I was able to close the holes and give the cats their spots. I must say that I only painted the brighter colors with the Chloroform mixture as it did not dissolve very easily, The black was done by dissolving ABS in Acetone :)

Were you able to get your model painted the way you wanted to?

5a331b129821a_LillyenSnooze.thumb.jpg.e0b7f9a6e0231df75b5e97fc7511df5d.jpg

5a331b129821a_LillyenSnooze.thumb.jpg.e0b7f9a6e0231df75b5e97fc7511df5d.jpg

• Like 1