Ultimaker 2+ custom material settings

aleciuf

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ custom material settings

Hi there,

I set a custom material settings on my Ultimaker 2+ (material -> settings -> customize) and I saved it as custom but, when I try to print a file on SD card exported from Cura (last version) with PLA profile, the printer notifies me: "This file is created for a different material" and It leaves me two choices: "Cancel" -> doesn't print; "Continue" -> printing begins but with standard PLA settings, ignoring the custom settings...

How do you print with custom settings?

What? This sounds very new. What version of Cura are you using? How do you set PLA in Cura? I've never seen that before.

One workaround - print it with any material settings, then while the printer is heating up, go to the TUNE menu and change the settings to whatever you want. It won't start printing until you exit the TUNE menu.

Another workaround - change the values for PLA then do SAVE SETTINGS then choose PLA after you save. This will change the settings for PLA. I like the first workaround better.

But... what version of Cura do you have?

You can set the material type in cura 2.1.

I can't seem to be able to replicate the problem though. I added a "testPLA" material and tried with firmware from 15.04.5 and 2.1.0 and files sliced with both versions of cura as well.

I know the "tune menu workaround" but I should re-set every time...

I'm using Cura 15.04.5 with default PLA settings

image.thumb.jpg.9de13a646b1ff5469cae8e707685823a.jpg

I set a new material on the printer And selected it

image.thumb.jpg.31f88ccae3f8ac67905925fa367203d9.jpg

When I try to print a file exported with Cura and PLA profile

image.thumb.jpg.1e38a5e651e4ade0a5f7fcf0b7260680.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9de13a646b1ff5469cae8e707685823a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.31f88ccae3f8ac67905925fa367203d9.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1e38a5e651e4ade0a5f7fcf0b7260680.jpg

I've never seen that error. What version of Marlin do you have? That's a new feature I think. I would open the CURA file in a text editor and search for PLA on the first few lines and change it to PLAf and also change your material name to PLAf and see if that helps. This really looks like a new bug/feature.

it could be related to a known bug in marlin talked about here and easy to fix but I doubt it:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19700-what-are-the-various-parameters-in-the-materialtxt-file?page=last#reply-136309

Read tinkergnome's posting and note the bold parts and then read the first posting.

Alternatively get rid of that space between "PLA" and "flex"?

I'm still using cura 15.04.4.

Hey @nallath! Do you know about this new feature in Marlin?? Look at the photo just above.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ custom material settings

I'm still using cura 15.04.4.

Hey @nallath!  Do you know about this new feature in Marlin??  Look at the photo just above.

I'm using 15.04.4 too...

Looking at the first few lines in the .gcode file, I have the following:

;FLAVOR:UltiGCode

;TIME:2694

;MATERIAL:2473

;MATERIAL2:0

;NOZZLE_DIAMETER:0.400000

;NOZZLE_DIAMETER2:0.400000

;MTYPE:PLA

;Layer count: 105

;LAYER:0

M107

So I can change "MTYPE" to match the material's name set on the printer, but what about the line: ";MATERIAL:2473" ? What is it, some kind of material code?

About the Marlin version, how can I check it? I just purchased my UM2+ and I never changed it... Thanks for the support guys :-)

Edited by Guest

MATERIAL -> Amount (in cubic mm if we're consistent)

MTYPE -> type of material

You can always ignore the warning. It's just there to help prevent mixups. Cura has the same logic; it will warn you if you use weird settings but will pretty much allow everything.

MATERIAL -> Amount  (in cubic mm if we're consistent)

MTYPE -> type of material

You can always ignore the warning. It's just there to help prevent mixups. Cura has the same logic; it will warn you if you use weird settings but will pretty much allow everything.

Hi nallath, how can I ignore the warning leaving the printer use the custom material settings? Selecting "Cancel" the print doesn't start, while selecting "Continue", the printer switch to default PLA settings (then the profile exported with Cura)

I'm not sure which is "leading" in this case. Is the selected material by machine leading or the one defined in the g-code.

Updating the firmware regularly is a good idea. We are far from perfect and have made mistakes (and fixed them) in the firmware / Cura.

So there you go - delete the "MTYPE" from you gcode might be a reasonable fix for now until they get this firmware bug fixed. Or go with a slightly older firmware.

You can tell which version of firmware you have on the printer by going through the menus - start by choosing ADVANCED and look around from there.

Each version of Cura comes with a Marlin. You can update Marlin by connecting a USB cable to your printer and there are options in Cura for updating the firmware. Certain settings are preserved if possible (leveling position, hours printer has been used, material settings, motion settings) but sometimes updating Marlin does a "factory reset" because the settings are now in a new location in memory. "Factory reset" sets most those to defaults forcing you to relevel and recreate your material settings.

Let me know what version of firmware you have and I'll post this bug over on github with a link to this topic.

Let me know what version of firmware you have and I'll post this bug over on github with a link to this topic.

In Maintenance -> Advanced

image.thumb.jpg.a4fc5526bb2cfccf84ca7a0e7b5859df.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a4fc5526bb2cfccf84ca7a0e7b5859df.jpg

Ok, changing the MTYPE line with a text editor, matching the name of the custom material (PLA flex) the printer accepts the settings... but I have to do it every time, so it does not seem possible to override Cura's settings, at least for materials

This is probably a temporary bug that will get fixed in the next release (and works fine in the previous release I think - 15.04.4 - not sure how far back you have to go for this "feature" not to exist).

Okay. I posted it over on github. We'll see what the developers say:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/issues/106

Just bumping in because of that issue report.

First off, this warning is specific for the Ultimaker 2+.

The exact code where this check is done is here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp#L456

The only extra logic that is executed in this case is this:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp#L689

And this bit that reads the MTYPE tag:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp#L274

As you can see, there is no logic there that changes the currently selected material in the printer. So as far as I can see, the material selection in the printer is used.

Note that the material settings in the UM2 do act a bit odd. Instead of you having selected a certain material (Current material = PLA), you actually have a "copy" of that material selected. So if you change the PLA settings (or PLA Flex settings) by an import, your selected copy is not changed. So you need to re-select that material for the changes to be active.

I think this is more likely to cause this confusion here.

Ah. Interesting. Did you get that @alecuif? Daid thinks you did something like this:

1) Created PLA Flex with same settings as PLA.

2) Edited PLA Flex on the SD card again and imported again (at this point you still have old PLA Flex settings)

3) Started a print and chose CONTINUE to the question above

4) Ended up with the *old* PLA Flex settings

In other words Daid doesn't believe that CONTINUE goes back to PLA. Could you test this one more time? Someone else needs to test for this bug. My only UM2+ has a different firmware (tinker marlin).

Hi all and thanks for the support. I selected the material afte the settings change... here what I did:

- exported the materials settings from UM2+ to SD card

- removed the SD from UM2+

- inserted the SD into computer's card reader

- edited the file materials.txt

- duplicated PLA material lines:

[material]

name=PLA

temperature=210

temperature_0.40=210

temperature_0.25=195

temperature_0.60=230

temperature_0.80=240

temperature_1.00=240

bed_temperature=60

fan_speed=100

flow=100

diameter=2.85

- edited cloned lines with new settings

[material]

name=PLA flex

temperature=240

temperature_0.40=240

temperature_0.25=240

temperature_0.60=240

temperature_0.80=240

temperature_1.00=240

bed_temperature=60

fan_speed=100

flow=100

diameter=2.85

- saved the txt

- removed SD from computer and inserted back into the printer

- turned on UM2+

- imported edited material file from SD to printer

- selected new material (PLA flex) from material menu

- started a print

- printer showed me the alert "the file

- selected "continue"

at this point the print started but the nozzle temperature reached the 210 °C, while the "new" material I edited and selected was 240...

Anyway, I'll try again over week end :-)

Did you check if the settings where properly imported?

When selecting PLA Flex - hover over that for a while and it will cycle through all the settings - make sure it's "240".

Also after you select PLA Flex, try doing MOVE MATERIAL and see what the goal temperature is for that step also. Make sure that is *also* 240. Then start the print, etc.

Thanks for helping debug this issue @alecuif

Hi all,

sorry for the delay, I've found that exporting the gCode from the "full settings" of Cura, in the gcode file there isn't the MTYPE line, so the selected material is used and no alert appears. While, exporting from the "quickprint" Cura's settings, the gcode has the MTYPE line.

So now everything is ok, probably I did a bit of confusion between settings and material selection...