Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Camie333

How can I print this image - Need advice :)

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have a printing question.

We are trying to print the attached image on a plastic surface.

From what I read we can print this 2D image with a 3D printer.

The image needs to be 1mm x 1mm so we can then use it under a microscope as a sample.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can do this and what machine would work best.

Thank you so much for your time,

Camie 5a331e837418b_Ferning1_49_22PM.jpg.c0cd70818e12668db7d7f090cb52f06c.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

You can load your jpg in Cura 15.4 and it will automatically open a window with settings on how you want to print that jpg-file.

However, I strongly think 1mm*1mm is smaller than what an Ultimaker can print.

You must understand that the nozzle you use to print is by default 0.4mm which is already half of the print you want to make. You can swap it to 0.25mm nozzle, but working with thermoplastics I don't think you can add the details you are looking for on a 1mm*1mm print.

I have been playing around with 2D images and using cura to convert it to 3D. I would only recommend using images that don't have to many edges when it extrudes up as different dark or light colours will have different height values. And you will get a lot of stringing, which are almost impossible to clean up. A heat gun will also not work as you will just end up warping the object.

Also, even if you could print that small then I doubt you will be able to see what you need to see. You can just as well print out a single layer and cut it to size and put it under the microscope.