why was Ultimake's own duel extruder for U2 abandoned? and what is know about Ulticreatr duel extruder add-on ?

Posted · why was Ultimake's own duel extruder for U2 abandoned? and what is know about Ulticreatr duel extruder add-on ?

Would someone pleas save me going though a tone of threads and simply tell me why was development of Ultimake's own duel extruder for U2 was abandoned? im sure i speak for many when i say, i was very disappointed when i discovered that this was the case, not least because, knowing i would be able to upgrade to a duel extruder no small part in the decision to by the Ultimaker in the first place.

aaany way moving on, i see that an Italy based company called Ulticreat have created a duel extruder add-on for the U2 and U2+. Has any one, had a chance to have a play with this add and can thy offer some feed back?

I would love to get a duel extruder add-on but my concern is that, if Ultimaker with all their resources and intimate knowledge of their own machine can't develop this upgrade....

Posted · why was Ultimake's own duel extruder for U2 abandoned? and what is know about Ulticreatr duel extruder add-on ?

Would be interesting to know what it is worth from an independent source; maybe someone has it tested?

Reason for the non-existence of the UM2 dual extrusion: Ultimaker tried and failed to make a system with which an UM2 could be easily upgraded to a dual extrusion machine (simplicity as with the UM2+ upgrade kit). And their tests did not show the results they wanted: oozing and hitting the print with the unused nozzle were the problems. Short enough? ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · why was Ultimake's own duel extruder for U2 abandoned? and what is know about Ulticreatr duel extruder add-on ?

i saw the thread already but dont think the developers of a product are going to give me an impartial review of their product.

im hoping the guys at Ultimaker might hav got their hands on one and could offer their opinions as pros and could also compare this thing's performance with their own efforts.

Edited by Guest

Would be interesting to know what it is worth from an independent source; maybe someone has it tested?

Reason for the non-existence of the UM2 dual extrusion: Ultimaker tried and failed to make a system with which an UM2 could be easily upgraded to a dual extrusion machine (simplicity as with the UM2+ upgrade kit). And their tests did not show the results they wanted: oozing and hitting the print with the unused nozzle were the problems. Short enough? ;)

short enough :)

maybe i will take neotko advice and ask Ulticreatr people how thy overcame the problems you described, no harm in asking.

They offered me a slightly cheaper version to test but sincerely I don't have time to change all the stuff and loose the production of one machine.

As far as I can see from the Ulticreatr is that their solution is the same as the one we attempted (and did ship with the UMO as a upgrade kit).

The problem in this case is not that it's impossible to make or to get working. Someone with a bit of technical know how and some experience with 3D printing can get all of this to work.

The main issue we had with it is that we couldn't get it to work reliable. As that is one of our major focus area's it was decided to drop the dual support (Do it right or don't do it at all)

• Like 1

I heard Ulticreatr uses a brute force approach with tons of heating power and tons of cooling to reduce the typical issues,. Now idea how well that works and what the drawbacks are.

The tool changer (my project) is a very well working solution with the extra benefit that it doesn't require any modifications to the standard print head. Single extrusion operation just remains the same. It will be available within this year in some way or other (best case would be a complete upgrade kit).

• Like 3

The tool changer (my project) is a very well working solution with the extra benefit that it doesn't require any modifications to the standard print head. Single extrusion operation just remains the same. It will be available within this year in some way or other (best case would be  a complete upgrade kit).

That's great news! Will you cover all Ultimaker models, including Original?

I heard Ulticreatr uses a brute force approach with tons of heating power and tons of cooling to reduce the typical issues,. Now idea how well that works and what the drawbacks are.

The tool changer (my project) is a very well working solution with the extra benefit that it doesn't require any modifications to the standard print head. Single extrusion operation just remains the same. It will be available within this year in some way or other (best case would be  a complete upgrade kit).

I saw that on youtube! very cool !

The approach uses an identical 2nd drive train for the additional head. Right now this is the UM2+ extrusion upgrade. Adaption to UMOs would be possible but requires considerable modifications. And of course there's an enhanced UM2 firmware which takes care of the tool changing and wiping processes and all the settings and adjustments.

• Like 1

So like to toss this into the mix. looks cool. anyone tried one yet?

Ultimaker 2+UM2 3D Printer All-metal Quad Head Extruder 4 Nozzles Kraken Hotends

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimaker-2-UM2-3D-Printer-All-metal-Quad-Head-Extruder-4-Nozzles-Kraken-Hotends-/262504324149?var=&hash=item3d1e7a1c35:m:mA20RSao3hkDn4m42pkdoUA

Ultimaker 2+UM2 3D Printer All-metal Quad Head Extruder 4 Nozzles Kraken Hotends

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimaker-2-UM2-3D-Printer-All-metal-Quad-Head-Extruder-4-Nozzles-Kraken-Hotends-/262504324149?var=&hash=item3d1e7a1c35:m:mA20RSao3hkDn4m42pkdoUA

I think there's a wide spread consensus dual extrusion without a lifting system or separate heads does not work..... don't think we need to waste a lot of time discussing a quad head without a lifting system .... apart from that you only have a connection for 2 heaters/extruders on an UM2 so you would need to get very creative on the electronics side...

Posted (edited) · why was Ultimake's own duel extruder for U2 abandoned? and what is know about Ulticreatr duel extruder add-on ?

[...] .... apart from that you only have a connection for 2 heaters/extruders on an UM2 so you would need to get very creative on the electronics side...

Well, did you never look for a reason to buy another Ultiboard2 for 350 euros...? ;)

Seriously: There are unused pins I think. And Marlin supports up to 4? 5? hotends... possible but maybe cleverer to buy a Stacker printer if you need four hotends...

Edited by Guest

I think there's a wide spread consensus dual extrusion without a lifting system or separate heads does not work..... don't think we need to waste a lot of time discussing a quad head without a lifting system .... apart from that you only have a connection for 2 heaters/extruders on an UM2 so you would need to get very creative on the electronics side...

[/quote

Doesn't work with UM's well you mean. I thought a discussion board was for asking questions.

Oh sure. Sorry. Did not mean to be rude. .. questions are obviously ok. I did not mean ultimaker specific I think in general multi extrusion without lifting heads or separate moving heads wil not give you a lot of pleasure... regardless the machine you put the head on...

Ultimaker 2+ doing dual extrusion ;)

P1100394.thumb.JPG.27ac663814ee94bdb3ca641e54477266.JPG

P1100394.thumb.JPG.27ac663814ee94bdb3ca641e54477266.JPG

• Like 3

Oh sure. Sorry. Did not mean to be rude. .. questions are obviously ok. I did not mean ultimaker specific  I think in general multi extrusion without lifting heads or separate moving heads wil not give you a lot of pleasure... regardless the machine you put the head on...

I'm of two minds about it. I tell inexperienced users to get *very* good at single first, and start out with only a single extruder.

I've made three dozen or so large parts (in the realm of 200mm x 300mm) ABS or PETG as the part material, with HIPS as a breakaway support. I felt it was worth doing for the kind of parts I had to build, but it can be frustrating to dial in. Thankfully I could adjust my extruder setup to get matching heights.

let's just say with the options currently (or soon.... foehnsturm setup) available I would not invest in a solution without a lift system or separate heads...

• Like 1