UM2+ defaut E STEP value

darkdvd

Posted · UM2+ defaut E STEP value

Do you use tinker firmware @gr5 ?

@gr5 : for a "+"

I've got one on 564 :)

+ feeder with the old stepper motor ( so basically the same as @GR5 's )

Same for me now @ultiarjan but E @ 738 because 369 x 2 (282 is wrong in thinker firmware)

tinkerbug_02.thumb.jpg.69439a1a272ff4ed9d8e8d9057611d0e.jpg

tinkerbug_02.thumb.jpg.69439a1a272ff4ed9d8e8d9057611d0e.jpg

Same for me now @ultiarjan but E @ 738 because 369 x 2 (282 is wrong in thinker firmware)

Ok, had to use google translate for that... did you get any confirmation from @tinkergnome that the 282 is indeed an error? I hardly used the machine after the upgrade and don't have the time now to do a lot ....

Another thing, I saw you used a "orange wig" to compensate for the longer axis of the original feeder motor, it's not needed, just push the small gear further on the motor axis (I have it stick out 10 mm) there is room enough in the feeder housing... (my printed connector plate is 6 mm)

I post an issue on github for @TinkerGnome :

"according the value for UM2.1_jarjar (https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/Configuration.h)

The default steps value for E is 369 (see configuration.h line 371)

Tinker value use 282 causing under-extrusion using new UM2+ feeder"

I print a longer version of the small gear :

WP_20160709_014.thumb.jpg.abdfda268e8894384d603ca236b673b4.jpg

With this gear, I must have 8mm of gap

WP_20160709_014.thumb.jpg.abdfda268e8894384d603ca236b673b4.jpg

I don't really see the point? the original gear (nylon?) is probably more durable.....

hmmm now I dont get it anymore, just checked my other printer, with Tinker 16.03.1+ and the full upgrade, it's on 369. My 2th printer also has 16.03.1+ and was on 282 ... (manually doubled it for the old motor). How can the same @tinkergnome versions have different step values? Could it be because I used the original UM2+ firmware before on one printer?

Afaik (on umo+) the settings values are stored on the flash rom. And only when you do a factory reset you get the firmware settings.

• Like 1

Ah so maybe the original um2+ firmware forces a reset and the tinker does not... that could explain it.

Yes but only the confirmation from Ultimaker is missing...

How can the same @tinkergnome versions have different step values? Could it be because I used the original UM2+ firmware before on one printer?

I use the same source files for all variants, that's the reason why the e-steps stay on the (wrong) value of 282 for upgraded printers. It's the first time that someone noticed this... :)

I'll put it on the todo list for future releases.

And yes: there's no (implicit) factory reset, if you already have installed any 'plus' firmware before (no matter, if the old or the new one is the standard or the tinker version).

• Like 1

I tend to use this one as a confirmation...

I tend to use this one as a confirmation...

me too !

This is strange. I don't get any underextrusion at 282 steps. This is an *old* UM2 from when it first came out years ago but it has tinkergnome firmware.

I put the "plus" kit on my UM2 extended (which does not have tinker gnome and I don't know steps/mm on that machine).

I also put the meduza 2x upgrade on my UM2 temporarily and increased steps to 282*2 (scroll to final photo here):

http://gr5.org/med/

At the moment I have the "bond tech" feeder on my UM2 but that machine is in the basement for a few days (resting) and I don't want to check steps/mm for that setup at the moment.

For an UM2 without the new geared feeder, the value is 282

For an UM2+ or an UM2 with the upgrade kit (geared feeder) with the Ultimaker firmware, the value is 369 (according the firmware source code)

For an UM2+ or an UM2 with the upgrade kit (geared feeder) with the TINKER firmware, the value is 282 and this is not the good value : must be change to 369

• Like 1