How to deal with retraction blobbing

Ronan

Posted · How to deal with retraction blobbing

Hey guys, what setting in Cura deals with blobbing from retractions.

I have my retractions dialed in, temp dialed in, speed dialed in, and get near-perfect prints, but on retraction it has a bit of blobbing (just enough that its a problem). Zero stringing or any other issues with the dialed in settings.

Printing ninjaflex on a modified UM2.

Hi Ronan, thank you for your post.

Do you have a picture of what your retraction blobs look like?

It could be your retraction speed?

Which version of Cura are you using?

Ninjaflex by itself is also more stringy/goo-ish, so it could also be that the filament itself is more inclined to leave blobs than other filaments.

Posted (edited) · How to deal with retraction blobbing

I can't get a picture, the blobs are too small for my regular lens.

But it's basically the typical blobbing you get from retractions, instead of stringing you get a little 'blob'.

Edited by Guest

I'd love to take a look at those dialed in settings for NinjaFlex. It's a very tricky material to print and if you've dialed it in near perfect that would be very valuable to all users.

And if the blobs need special lenses to show up in a picture I'm not sure i would call that a problem heh.

Usually blobs are reduced at lower speeds but I'm guessing you are already down to 10mm/sec, lol. More info would help (photo and post profile settings).

Correct already printing at very low speed, from 10-15 depending of the print. With some finicking and tweaking there's zero stringing, but some blobbing.

This isn't on a UM2 by any means, you can't get high quality prints on a bowden system with ninjaflex/filaflex. Tried all aftermarket extruders, you can get by, but can't get the quality for a professional print. Had to add another system to get to that level.

Ninja on Um2 - I forget but I think I used the "plus" feeder for this one:

5a331ea43bfce_2016-05-3014_04_10.thumb.jpg.2d9d03615b7364804312d95aeae3a562.jpg

5a331ea43bfce_2016-05-3014_04_10.thumb.jpg.2d9d03615b7364804312d95aeae3a562.jpg

Not bad, we mostly use Filaflex and had to get an additional system to print it properly. Biggest issue we found with any bowden system is it's not 100% reliable. You can get the occasional binding/etc and it would ruin a print.