Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Hi,

Installed Bondtech extruder today on my UMO.....and its insane :)

Never had prints look this good, so either the orginal extruder never was assembled good enough or this Bondtech is

just so much more accurate. Every first layer is picture perfect and PLA prints at lower temps and faster speed.

Impressed again with my Ultimaker :)

Ultimaker should make a deal with Bondtech and have it as standard extruder.

• Like 3

It's quite nice I haven't tested yet the full bondtech with motor but I'm finishing a 'Fat IRobertI' feeder to adapt the cheap 40€ kit (for 1.75mm) and I must say I'm quite impressed with the quality and firm grip with non existent grind.

35k retracts print in 5h finished perfectly.

image.thumb.jpeg.9b8d4a58811e7daf3df941223d4fe3b7.jpeg

And this it's the iteration 6-7 of the design that I think will be the final version

image.thumb.jpeg.3ac2d240d56b5960db484a263fdeeb11.jpeg

Also had to adjust the esteps to 141.8 that's a bit more precise than the 141 (for 200 rev motor 16microstep). I'll do a full post as soon I get 15h of steady prints.

hate to say this but yes.. the Bondtech Extruder is awesome.

quite painful though since i just paid quite a bit to upgrade my 3 printers to the UM2+.. unfortunately, they all suffered from bad top layer closure..

as soon as the bondtech extruder was isntalled.. it's like new..

so yes.. definitely recommend.

Why Hate, if not for Bondtech,  I would still be Under Extruding with a machine that cost me £1,900.00, but saying that if I hadn't got the UM2,  I would of learnt a hell of a lot.

haha, my "hate to say so" is because I really felt the Um2+ improved feeder would have fixed all my issues. I'm bummed I still had to go to a different supplier...

• Like 1

@bondtech it's there ANY plan of selling the 2.85 double gears alone? I think that with some modding it could be possible to use the um2+ feeder gears + motor and adapt it. Maybe even just adding a small shaft/adaptor so it fits on the um2+ gear and the bondtech. It could be a cheaper sollution and more attractive for users that can't spend 140-150€ on each machine.

Edited by Guest

I've been struggling with my modded UMO+ and the feeder this week, and I checked all the alternatives I have to the UM2 feeder I have installed in my UMO+.

As @neotko suggested, @bondtech will the 2.85mm double gears be available as spare parts in the future? I'd really want to get them and mod them with the parts available to keep the feeder as small as possible but with a high grip!

• Like 1

Anyone knows where can I find a piece like the UM2+ feeder bolt, one piece with a flat cut to connect it to the Gear?

um2plus-bolt.thumb.jpg.5d2f3c75c448e6cd030a966f7e6b721b.jpg

Asking because, the dia of the hole it's exactly 8mm, just like the Dual Drive Gears of Bondtech for 2.85. They use a 8mm día, and voilá! They key element to make it work would be a 8mm small shaft of 25-30mm with the same flat cut to connect it to the gears. This way anyone could redesign the um2+ geared feeder to use the bondtech (saving a good amount of cash and being able to keep the 'white' cool design). It might even be posible to make it with a quick release less painful (on the fingers) than the um2+ strong lever.

So, anyone knows where to find this stuff? Or better, anyone can make them? :D

um2plus-bolt.thumb.jpg.5d2f3c75c448e6cd030a966f7e6b721b.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1